• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

eieiowen

Hi all. I wanted to share share my new bass purchase with the Ernie Ball community. This is my 1988 SR 5. It appears that this bass has a very early serial number and was built before the SR 5 started shipping to stores. According to the guy I bought it from it has some unique features.

The color seems to be a custom order. To my eye it seems to be between a coral and Dakota red.
The knobs are painted white.
The neck finish is more of a thin oil and wax finish.
The pickup has a phantom coil.

According to the seller, he contacted EBMM and they told him that the bass was shipped to the Artist Relations Department and that the artist could have requested these features.

That is definitely intriguing. I would love to see if I can get more information about this bass.

I was looking for an early SR 5 and this seems to be a great example. I may have paid a little too much for it, but I have had a blast with it so far. It is a really powerful bass. The B string is one of the best I have ever heard, very tight and articulate. I'm still working on setting it up to my taste but it's a great playing bass.

Anyway, I figured this would be the place to share it. I'll try to post some pics here.

Attachments

• IMG_1553.jpg
    IMG_1553.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_1554.jpg
    IMG_1554.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 439

tbonesullivan

The Phantom Coil is something that came and went with the SR5H, just like how the pickups changed from Alnico, to Ceramic, back to Alnico.

tmycannon

I have almost the same bass 353 just not the white knobs. My understanding is that every first year sr5 was unique...

tmycannon

I have almost the same bass 353 just not the white knobs. My understanding is that every first year sr5 was unique... How the he'll do you post a photo here?

Top Bottom