• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

bovinehost

Administrator
The question of matching headstock or not was never much of a question for me. Nor did I really prefer maple boards over rosewood. A few years ago, though, I realized it DID matter somewhat, if only in a cosmetic sense. I never noticed much of a sonic difference between maple/rosewood - although my preferred flatwounds could have a bit to do with that.

Anyway, along the way, I realized that I simply preferred the look of a darker board. And then I started to think I preferred matching headstocks with the darker board, but not with maple boards.

So what's your preference?

Maple with matching headstocks or not?
Rosewood with matching headstocks or not?

I realize that taste is arbitrary and mine (if you ask Sterling, to be sure) is questionable.

danny-79

i Personally think a matching headstock looks better with a dark board than light especially with darker colours.
Rosewood definitely feels “mentally” warmer to me (maple has been a deal breaker in the past so guess I’m biased).

So it’s maple with plain headstock
Rosewood with matching headstock

(Matching headstock. Face of headstock is the same colour as the body of the bass)

Last edited:

five7

I have a couple one matching and one not.

Attachments

• sub & bongo.jpg
    sub & bongo.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 183

eieiowen

For me, if it's a maple board I want a plain headstock. With a rosewood board I can take it or leave it. It really depends on the color. I grew up playing basses with plain headstocks. I guess that's what I'm used to so it looks right to me.

GWDavis28

For me the fret board type does matter, but for me it’s always non-matching headstock

Glenn. |B)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmbassplayer

I typically prefer dark fretboard matching headstock and maple board non-matching. But... you do have to break your own rules when you find that oddball. Jack... You should send me the Cutlass because you are nice. JOSH
stingray1.jpg

Rod Trussbroken

I prefer a plain headstock with either Maple or Rosewood fretboard. The exception is my 30th Anni Trans Crimson which has a matching headstock. I also like the ones made for the German distributor some years back....all black, matching headstock, Ebony fretboard and chrome hardware.

tbonesullivan

It really depends on the guitar. Some look great with the matching painted headstock, others just don't. Too each their own.

muggsy

I prefer a plain headstock with either Maple or Rosewood fretboard. The exception is my 30th Anni Trans Crimson which has a matching headstock. I also like the ones made for the German distributor some years back....all black, matching headstock, Ebony fretboard and chrome hardware.

I have a 30th Stingray as well. I think of matching headstocks as painted, not stained, which is why I said I didn't have one. But I guess I do.

Golem

Coupla tings .....

1. If you favor clear gloss finished bodies,
you get a more-or-less matching HS at a
$000.00 upcharge ... and acoarst a black
USA SUB also has a $000.00 matching HS.

2. If you play a maple FB under a focused
spotlite on stage, do NOT look at your FB
while playing ... especially if it's a fretted
5-string. The bright blond wood makes the
frets and strings appear black, the spotlite
throws black shadows of the 5 strings and
so now you got 10 black lines running the
length of the neck crossed by 20+ black
lines across the neck which, if my math is
semi-correct, yields 100 zillion little black
boxes dancing on the bright spotlit blonde
FB. Acoarst, with a 4-string there's only
80 zillion little black rectangles, which is
waaaay easier on the eyeballs ...

And soooo .... thaz how Golem came to
favor black strings and ebony FL FBs. If
I glance at my FB all I see is my fingers.

Last edited:

the explode man

The headstock has to either match the body or the fretboard. For example, a blue body with a rosewood fretboard and a maple headstock is a no go for me. They always look so cheap that way.

liverbird

The headstock has to either match the body or the fretboard. For example, a blue body with a rosewood fretboard and a maple headstock is a no go for me. They always look so cheap that way.

I know, tell me about it!

rdteQPy.jpg

bovinehost

Administrator
We're a weird bunch.

This is all just personal pref, of course....I like matching headstocks with rosewood boards but not with maple boards.
But I also don't mind a natural headstock with rosewood boards.

Top Bottom