• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Neanderpaul

Ever since I first peeped the EBMM EVH, I've wanted one.

I'd acquired a Peavey, and a MIJ EVH Stealth. But...the EBMM was always said to be the *one.* and it was always my white whale.

Took me 24 years to finally be in a place where I could afford it. Because, let's face it..Decent guitars, cost money. Luxury isn't necessity. So, I *finally* found one for a reasonable price on the Bay, and snagged it a few months ago. Trans-Purple with the requisite partially faded Headstock.

Of course, it doesn't end there. The GAS set in. I couldn't justify buying another. I'm not good enough to collect expensive guitars. So, I sought out a used Axis. Actually found one locally in Natural Quilt two days ago, and banged the CC.

Yeah. Worth it. Quite simply, a completely unfamiliar new-to-me Axis, feels more like "my" guitar than ones I've owned for 20 years.

And now, I'm in deep. Perhaps this will be the year I finally learn how to play!

Though I'd introduce myself, and admit I'm powerless over my GAS.

Happy New Year!

xjbebop

1] Congrats! And welcome to the family!
2] PICS or it's an Epiphone.... ;)
3] your user name... very clever... I like it!

Neanderpaul

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

..the Axis. Simply the most comfortable guitar I've ever played.

Sorry for any delay. Still new...mods need to approve my junk.

Last edited:

kestrou

Welcome aboard buddy - great looking guitars and always good to have a new brother in the family! :)

Kevin

Neanderpaul

Too early to tell. I've owned the EVH for a couple of months, but only found the Axis two days ago, and bought it Friday morning.

I will say, as someone who's used to Les Pauls, the fret spacing is definitely tiny to me. I'm not a small guy. That said, I don't have particularly fat fingers. The whole guitar is "small" to begin with. But, I haven't been able to say I favor one over the other yet.

Both necks are superior to everything I own...with the *possible* exception of a '96-'97 G&L Legacy.

xjbebop

""as someone who's used to Les Pauls, the fret spacing is definitely tiny to me""
Actually, the fret spacing would be a wee bit more compact on an LP, considering the shorter scale length. (LP = 24.75" ; Axis/EVH = 25.5")
I'll guess you're referring to different feel due to the 'location' of the neck being closer to your body on most EBMM guitars.
Even with the longer F-style scale length, the more compact design of these guitars makes the reach to the nut and rest of the neck feel much more centered... one of the many attributes that make them feel more ergonomic to play.
One of the reasons I love them so much too!

Neanderpaul

Which is why I quoted "small." The guitar in the rack, is smaller than everything else I own (LP, SG, Strats, Explorer), and yet the neck is longer. The top is that much tighter to the body. It *feels* tiny. And looking at the frets by the nut, it just looks like a "kid-guitar." The ergonomics make it feel like you're not playing as large a neck, because I'm not reaching. Kind of like any short-scale bass.

That said...can't keep my hands off either. They have a "bait-attraction." Every time since acquiring, I've reached for one of them first. To the point that I'm going to offload other guitars. I've come to the quick conclusion, that many won't ever be played again. That's *really* why I purchased the Axis. I didn't want to destroy the EVH. The Axis will be the *every day player.* The EVH will be for "special occasions."

Sadly, I'm a horrible player. And don't *deserve* to play any fine guitars. I use them as incentive to improve.

I know...it's weird.

xjbebop

No worries! Totally understand your excitement about the new gittars, but from experience, give the honeymoon phase a month or two before you let go of your other guitars...
Then if you still feel the same, you won't have any regrets.

click track

Neanderpaul;1026468 Sadly said:
Trust me on this one, these guitars inspire !!! My JP6 has inspired me so much that my playing has exponentially improved on all levels. In 6 months I would be quite surprised if you don't experience a similar natural reaction to your Axis.

Enjoy the ride !!!!

Wahoonc

Welcome, congratulations, and your story is not unique--and that's a good thing! Watch the GAS, though, it will get you. I had been a one or two guitar at a time guy for most of my life (~30 years). After buying my first EBMM, I bought six more in the next two years or so. I've settled on four that never see their cases anymore. Very good instruments that (as click track said) do inspire and make you want to play more. Also, great and knowledgeable group of players here. I've learned a ton from these guys. I'm sure you will too and have plenty to contribute in the future.

jimw427

The Axis was my gateway into the EBMM guitar gas, like you said they feel like "Your" guitar...

Gundar

Welcome to the forum! I’m one of those guys that’s owned a lot of guitars in his life. EBMM’s are the only ones I keep coming back to. Nice collection you got growing there.

Neanderpaul

Welcome to the forum! I’m one of those guys that’s owned a lot of guitars in his life. EBMM’s are the only ones I keep coming back to. Nice collection you got growing there.

Oh...I've got guitars. I only included the EBMM stuff here. I have a decent assortment. From cheap-basic, to fine. Nothing extravagant. But, more than I need really...

The list:

'08 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis
'93 Ernie Ball Music Man EVH Signature
'16 Gibson LP Studio Faded T
'10 Gibson SG Standard
'09 Gibson LP Traditional Pro
'08 Gibson LP Studio
'95 Gibson Explorer '76 RI
'05 Epiphone Zakk Wylde Buzzsaw LP Custom (signed)
'97 Epiphone LP Standard Limited Edition
'88 Epiphone By Gibson PR350s
'16 Dean EABC Acoustic Bass
'10 EVH Wolfgang Special Stealth
'13 EVH Striped Series
'99 Fender Standard Strat
'13 Fender Standard Strat
'08 Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
'98 Fender DG 10/12
'96 G&L Legacy USA
'76 Ibanez Concord 699
'99 Peavey Wolfgang