• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

mgla

Hello all.

I'm currently considering purchasing a guitar fitted with an EB compensated nut, and have a question regarding it's compatibility out of the box with heavier gauge string sets. I play heavy bottom strings (10-52). I have searched google for the past hour as to whether or not the nut slots need to be widened to accommodate the larger wound strings, and have read through quite a few posts on this forum, but I have not been able to find a truly definitive answer.

So, those of you with first hand experience playing these compensated nuts, will a 10-52 set fit without filing the nut slots or not?

Thank you in advance for any replies. It's much appreciated.

Warg Master

I've had 54's with no problems in my guitars. The nuts seems to be individually filed, however, as I have one guitar that takes that gauge with no problem, while another where it seems a bit of a tight fit. so, I guess it depends on the guitar.

fbecir

Hello

On my Morse, SUB and AL, I've put 10-52 strings. Only the AL has a compensated nut and there was no problem for fitting the strings.

Twang Banger

I use elixir 11s, not sure the size of the fat strings, but I have no problems with 11s on three EBMM ALs with compensated nuts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Twang Banger

They’re 11-49, so can’t vouch for larger gauges

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom