• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

armybass

Colonial Heights, Virginia, United States
I have several great EBMM Basses and I love each one of them and use them regularly to gig. But the one bass that continues to shine a little brighter is my 2017 Classic Stingray. It is strung with flats and I play it regularly through a 100 watt tube amp with a single 15. I am in tonal nirvana each time I play this bass. It is so smooth yet authoritative. I used it last night on my NYE gig and it was such a joy to play. When you play a bass like this that inspires you musically it is just an unmatched experience.

I have assigned my Basses particular roles in certain groups or gigs I play so that I get to rotate often and enjoy each one. I look forward to the gigs I get to play this bass on.

Thanks EBMM for continued excellence and keeping the magic alive for us players.

tbonesullivan

I don't need another bass. I don't need another bass. I don't need another Bass. I don't need another bass.

I also can't decide between the classic series and "old Smoothie"

Eilif

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is it about the Classic Stingray that shines brighter than the modern Stingray? (Not challenging you or defending the modern Stingray -- just asking because I have no experience with the Classic Stingray.)

Karl

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is it about the Classic Stingray that shines brighter than the modern Stingray? (Not challenging you or defending the modern Stingray -- just asking because I have no experience with the Classic Stingray.)

In my opinion it probably comes down to the Classic's 2 band EQ over the Modern 3 band EQ.They are two different beasts but I prefer the tone of the 2 band Classic it is not as zingy as the 3 band.

tbonesullivan

Can't you get the standard stingray 4H with a 2 band EQ? Only real difference is that it would have the center detent, which the classic series does not.

armybass

Colonial Heights, Virginia, United States
Neck, finish, preamp ..... it feels like a brand new 1976 Stingray with all of the modern advancements.
I’m not saying I don’t like the modern Stingrays. I have two of them now. But I’m old school and I preferr the Classic Series Basses. They are perfect for me.

drTStingray

Can't you get the standard stingray 4H with a 2 band EQ? Only real difference is that it would have the center detent, which the classic series does not.

None of the 2 bands have a centre detent - only the 3 bands have that. I agree however that the Classics have that extra nagic from the details - lacquered neck, figured wood, chrome battery cover and truss rod wheel, old school logo, large bridge with mute assembly, no body contours. Quite a lot of difference.

mmbassplayer

I did not see anyone post any actual rules so I will get this started:

Classic Stingray Rules...

#1. Slightly engage mutes, all the time, no matter what.
#2. Crank the high knob, then turn it a little more.

Rod Trussbroken

None of the 2 bands have a centre detent - only the 3 bands have that. I agree however that the Classics have that extra nagic from the details - lacquered neck, figured wood, chrome battery cover and truss rod wheel, old school logo, large bridge with mute assembly, no body contours. Quite a lot of difference.

Plus 7.5 inch neck radius and strings loaded through the body :cool:

Top Bottom