• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

FriendlyTree

Hello, I've recently gotten my first Ernie Ball Majesty 7-string. Absolutely love the guitar so far aside from the issue I'm having. I'm tuned to drop g with 10-56 cobalts. The intonation and bridge are all set up and everything plays fine and stays in tune except for the G string. Bending or using the whammy bar causes it to go sharp or flat. I've tried putting some graphite under the string on the nut but no luck. Any suggestions?? Would upping the string gauge help? I'd like to avoid that if I can because for the most part it plays beautifully currently.

Gundar

It sounds as if the string is binding in the nut. If it’s new call EBMM customer service. If not take a small piece of fine sandpaper, fold it in half and make a few passes through the slot. This will clean out anything that could be hindering the string from passing through freely. Look at the slot closely to insure the slot has U shape for the string to rest on and not a V shape. This may also need some nut files to get the correct width for the string. Try some pencil lead dust or Grapit All in the slot too. If you think this is too much for you a good tech could get it up to speed in no time.

Rick C

Friendly Tree: is the F string wrapped multiple times around the locking tuner? Should be just the minimum amount of string wrapped with lockers otherwise serious whammy action can allow the string wraps to shift resulting in string tension changes when returned to the normal position. Otherwise I'm with Gundar; binding at the nut. This is odd as your strings are the factory spec for this guitar. Going up a string gauge will make it worse if this is the case; a fatter string is more likely to bind if the nut slot is already too tight. EB make a 0.016" Cobalt (yours is 0.017") so you could try dropping 0.001" and see if it makes a difference but I've never seen Cobalts sold separately. Maybe buy any 0.016" you can find as a single and make a quick test?

Good luck

FriendlyTree

Strings have been stretched and been playing on them for a little over a week now. I've tried graphite, but no luck. As far as I can tell the slot in the nut looks fine. Has the U shape. I've set up many tremolos in the past, this is the first time I've had any issues. Is it worth trying some sort of oil as a lubricant? It is new though, just got it right before christmas so calling EBMM may be my best option, just really don't want to have to ship it somewhere if I don't have to.

FriendlyTree

Forgot to mention but the string is wrapped around 3 times and just bending the string will make it go sharp. And the graphite did seem to help a small bit. Thanks for all the help so far btw!

FriendlyTree

Just did some further testing, this time with it plugged into a tuner. Turns out that bending the string causes it to go flat, and pushing the whammy bar down causes it to sharp once tension is restored, which is backwards of what makes sense to me???

JamieCrain

Three wraps around the post is too many. When you restring, pull the string straight through *tight* and then lock the tuner. Then tune up. The string will be wrapped perhaps halfway around the post. Certainly no more than once. You could also try using lip balm to lubricate the bridge posts that the trem is resting against. Good luck!

Gundar

Also is the Trem level with the body? Some players preferences will vary but the base of the tremolo should be level with the top of the body. If it’s tilted up or back it could impede the tremolos ability to return to pitch.

Rick C

I assumed that in the OP "intonation and bridge all set up" meant a flat trem but this was not specifically stated. Going from stock, EBMM supplied strings to a set of Cobalts with the same gauges (assuming Cobalts are not the standard supplied strings) should not have caused the trem position to shift. The trem would have to be very seriously tilted one way or the other to be a real nuisance play-ability wise and I can't see how this would have any bearing on the original problem of the G string not returning to pitch after trem use.

FriendlyTree

Trem is parallel with body, I did have to do some minor adjustments to it because I tuned down. I read about some similar scenarios and Big Bend's Nut Sauce seemed to be what people were recommending. Ordered some along with another set of strings. Hopefully this takes care of my problem. Will update.

FriendlyTree

UPDATE: I applied some of Big Bends nut sauce along with putting on a new set of strings, and it basically cleared the problem up entirely. It still will go just slightly out of tune from bends or dives, but to no where near the amount that it was before. Thanks for all the advice!!

Top Bottom