• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

JayDawg

I realize some of this may be subject to change after NAMM in a few weeks or if EBMM releases any PDN, Ball Family Reserve, Guitar Center Exclusive or limited edition runs not released to the public yet. But here are the EBMM guitars and basses that I plan on buying in 2018 but it may stretch into 2019 as well due to availability of funds.

Stingray 4H black with black pickguard and maple neck and fretboard. I had one previously and loved it but had to sell it when we were getting hit hard with medical bills.

An original Old Smoothie. In September, when I bought my Guitar Center Exclusive Bongo 5HH in barolo metallic purple, roasted maple neck and black hardware, the GC had an Old Smoothie in stock. I played it while there and fell in love with it. A guy came in looking for a bass for his home recording studio. He started looking at MIA Fender Precision basses but saw me playing the Old Smoothie and he was really digging the tone. He and I talked for a bit and I gave him info on EBMM as a company and told him why I play them. The guy was really impressed and ended up buying the Old Smoothie.

Stingray Classic 4H Natual or if I can find a new old stock in the Diego Blue or Lake Placid Blue (I don’t recall the exact name of the blue color?). If I find one of them, I will have the pickguard painted in the congenital heart defect ribbon. My current Stingray Classic is Shell Pink with a pink breast cancer ribbon painted on the pickguard of it. Sterling Ball was kind enough to build the bass for me when my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2010. The purpose of the bass was built to raise awareness and funds for breast cancer research. My wife is now a survivor and that bass means more to our family then anyone will ever know. With the blue one I want built, our youngest son Zach, was born with aortic stenosis and had to have emergency heart surgery when he was 2 days old, when the heart defect was discovered. Then in 2009, when Zach was 6 years old, he had to have open heart, valve replacement surgery to replace his aortic valve. We have had tremendous response from the breast cancer awareness bass and ever since it was built, I have wanted to build a similar congenital heart defect awareness bass for Zach. My goal would be to do charitable events for places like Childrens Hospital, who have been amazing when dealing with Zach. I’m not a wealthy man but that is one place my family will always help out in any way we can.

Bongo 5HH Stealth. I need a bass to pair with my Guitar Center Exclusive Bongo 5HH. I love Bongo’s but hate painted necks. Since all Bongo’s have painted necks, I’m going with a Stealth model because it looks awesome and on it, the looks of the painted neck look really good too.

2 Cutlass 4H’s. 1 will definitely be black but on the 2nd one I am really undecided. Between the natural, white,
heritage tobacco and diamond blue, I don’t know which one to go with? I’m kind of leaning towards the white one or the diamond blue one. When the diamond blue first came out, I didn’t like it but now it is starting to grow on me.

On the guitar side of things it will be as follows for now and then in 2019 or 2020, I will start building up my EBMM guitar collection with additional EBMM models.

JP 6 w/piezo and tremolo bridge in mystic dream. I bought one last November and loved it. I never planned on selling it. I was selling other guitars on Reverb from a guitar manufacturer that I used to work for. They owed me a lot of back pay and told me to keep all of my demo guitars and sell them in leau of my back pay owed to me. A guy from Australia contacted me about one. We got to talking and he found out I am a die hard EBMM fan. Apparently so was he. His dream guitar was a JP6 in mystic dream. I guess where he lives in Australia, there are no EBMM dealers and any EBMM guitar or bass is hard to buy. When he found out about mine, he offered me $500.00 more than I paid for mine plus shipping. The deal was to good to pass up and I knew he wanted the guitar considering it was his dream guitar so, I sold it to him. Now, I need to buy another one for me again.

3 JP Majesty’s. Trans blue, red and purple. I want them simply because I am in love with them. Getting all 3 may stretch into late 2019 or possibly even 2020 due to them being last on priority but I really dig those guitars.

2 Game Changers. 1 bass and 1 guitar. The bass only has 1 option so it’s a given how it will be. On the guitar, I will get a HSH w/piezo and tremolo bridge. I have already owned 3. The first 2 I had to sell to pay medical bills. On the last one, I got it last November but when EBMM announced the 30th Anniversary Stingray 5, I had to have it. The day after it was announced, I ordered it but the only way I could pay for it was to take advantage of Guitar Centers 45 day money back guarantee, return it and pay for the SR5. The people at GC were kind enough to let me keep the guitar until April, when the 30th Anniversary came in. The GC store is almost 3 hours from my house and the manager of the store knows I baby my gear so he did that to save me a 6 hour round trip to just return the guitar. I hated getting rid of my Game Changer again but I have to admit that my 30th Anniversary SR5 has become my favorite bass.

For me, 2018 will be the year I add a lot more EBMM’s to my collection.

Now, if I ever find a 2014 EBMM PDN Bongo 4H or 5H or even 4HH or 5HH in neptune blue with an all roasted neck and fretboard, I will do anything I can to acquire the bass. I literally look every day on the net for one in hopes one pops up and becomes available.

Last edited:

JayDawg

I would also love to see a 5 string Cutlass or Caprice and would eventually add them to my list but probably not get one until at least 2020.

Karl

A 4 string Caprice, but I would like to see some more colour options that are already currently available.

mmbassplayer

Jay, i am hoping to see a St. Vincent bass come NAMM time. The wife is in love with the body style so she may need to own one. JOSH

kinopah

Def another Cutlass - would be open to a Caprice as well. Will always love the StingRay but those are great instruments and suit my playing much more.

Edmang

Probably will get a Caprice. Hoping they do a 5 string.

Definitely would check out the St. Vincent bass if released.

Have in interest in the Silhouette bass, but only if there is a PDN offering this year. Hoping for a cool color with roasted maple neck for that one.

Tony_Dee

On the fence between an Old Smoothie or a 30th Anniv Stingray 5. Can't swing both. I'm wrestling with the age-old question, do I want to stick with a 4-string that I'm currently more comfortable with, or finally make more of a commitment to 5-strings. Once I decide on that, I'll be able to pull the trigger. Played both, and they're both sweet! I need to stick my 4-strings in the closet and only play 5ers for an extended period of time to give one a fair shake.

JayDawg

I ordered my 30th Anniversary SR5 the day after EBMM announced it at NAMM. I am mainly a 4 string player but that bass has inspired me to play 5’s as well. I love the Old Smoothies but the 30th Anniversary SR5 has become my favorite bass to play.

Rev.Cornelius

I am looking to get 1 of the following:

1. Bongo 4 HH

2. Stingray 4 HH w/SLO neck

3. Stingray 4 HH Neck-through (I wish there was a SLO neck option for this bass.)

However, I am going to wait until after NAMM to see if there are any other colors become available. I find that most of the current colors are kind of lame. YMMV.

Thanks

Top Bottom