• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

LenaEBMMfan

If so, why wasn’t there a neck thru design to begin with
Why the departure from nearly 30 years of bolt ons

The majesty is the best guitar ever without a doubt , but according to sweet water, John says the nexk thru really makes it best now

Why?.....

(The minor detail changes like the flamed top or aesthetics isn’t really what puzzled me....it’s the neck thru?..)

tbonesullivan

All of the Majesty models have been neck through, since the first one came out in 2014.

Also the Majesty is not the only model that is available as a neck through. The Armada came out in 2013.

LenaEBMMfan

Is there one this year?
But also I’d like to ask in reply progress .....or evolution?

As is well known, his Ibanez and JP/X all were bolt on, not because they were inferior to neck thru, I presume ....
It’s a preference. Some may say it’s about access but ehhhhhhhhhh
If that’s the case bolt ons would be obsolete or considered low end regardless of any other factors which isn’t the case

I personally think Majesty Artic Dream IS the quintessential EBMM, which by transitive property , means pretty much the best damn electric guitar on the planet ....like I couldn’t create a custom with better specs if I tried...

The majesty is nearly genius , I dare say

Also, what is the difference. From a set neck? Why not that instead of bolt on, for example ?

So maybe he just wanted a complete departure? Or EBMM couldn’t justify $3k+ price tag unless it was better(“neck thru”,/than other predecessor )

JamieCrain

Neck-through is sleeker and much more comfortable to play and, I suspect, more expensive to make. The Majesty is a joy to play and feels modern; the JP15 by comparison is much chunkier because of the neck joint and therefore harder for me. IMO, bolt-on necks feel like old technology now and I'll likely never go back.

tbonesullivan

The Gibson SG was originally envisioned as a neck-through design. There is nothing new or revolutionary about neck through.

Carvin/kiesel made mostly set necks until they went ALL neck through in 1988. Then in 1996 they brought back set neck, and then made bolt ons starting in 1997.

I really don't see any particular neck joint design as being "superior" or "inferior". They all have their pros and cons when it comes to sound, construction, servicing, etc. With modern production techniques it is not as much of an issue, however wood is STILL Wood, and variable in ways that cannot be controlled.

beej

Yep.

Personally I like knowing that a neck can be easily replaced without sacrificing the entire guitar. But I've only owned bolt-on necks.

LenaEBMMfan

The Gibson SG was originally envisioned as a neck-through design. There is nothing new or revolutionary about neck through.

Carvin/kiesel made mostly set necks until they went ALL neck through in 1988. Then in 1996 they brought back set neck, and then made bolt ons starting in 1997.

I really don't see any particular neck joint design as being "superior" or "inferior". They all have their pros and cons when it comes to sound, construction, servicing, etc. With modern production techniques it is not as much of an issue, however wood is STILL Wood, and variable in ways that cannot be controlled.
Well said, indeed

Plus. I think many are overlooking perhaps the even more important issue to some about neck construction choice : tone!

After all we’re musicians before being guitarists, so we should remember bolt ons are often CHOSEN because they offer better/stronger hi’s, increased snap back or aka twang, less depth/warmth etc, and then this in turn is directly correlated to both the aesthetic and tonal choices in neck wood, fretboard wood , and route of construction (like will it be old school fender box style, EBMM access, Ibanez AANJ, or maybe a Stephens extended cutaway, which then in turn has a correlation and edfect back to the body wood choice ) so it’s more than JUST playability though

FWIW tone and playability are equally important , even if mutually exclusive (unlike the luthier issues that are not), if that makes any sense at all...

Also, last point, u break a bolt on neck, you can get another...and if it’s factory issues guitar then it’s almost no big deal...now if u manage to break a neck thru. Wellll..........you are F@@@@ed, and or out of hundreds but more likely thousands

But I prefer neck thru too, just for the majesty though. All else I like the tone of bolt ons

orion_21

Oddly, the only guitars ive ever had neck issues with were a JP6 and Strat. None of the LPS - including an epi - have been an issue knock on wood

tbonesullivan

I thankfully have not had any real neck issues with a guitar. Just some bolt ons that needed shims. Never any issues with adjustment. I had two neck-through guitars (Carvin) and they were just fine. If properly cared for, warped necks really are kind of a rarity.

LenaEBMMfan

BTW 1st hi end I got was a brand new cherry SG, man those guitars are soooooooo slept on
Like so light, and so minimalistic, but still so Gibson
Great neck, but thick..I wanted to shave mine down to the wood and thin it out a bit as wel but I sold her while still cherry

Those are set neck, right? It’s almlst like mix of neck thru n bolt on

LenaEBMMfan

Sorry tbone, didn’t know how to get the @msg to u for you to reply so this is a retro quote ......

Can u tell me more about the SG, like what about the neck design and how does it compare to a neck thru? Always wanted to know more about IMHO Gibson’s most unique electric solid body

Top Bottom