• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

gbeason

I recently picked up the STV-60 for my young daughter, and I've enjoyed playing it myself.

I noticed that the low E string was buzzing, as well as the A, so I slightly adjusted the truss and slightly raised the low E saddle. I'm hearing also vibration noise in the body. And I think it's the tremolo, whether the bar is attached or not. I say that might be the source because if I play (mainly the low E), I hear that buzz, which stops as soon as I touch the tremolo bridge.

I'd like to see if I might fix it before spending more on having a professional look at it.

Any suggestions on what might be the source? I appreciate any help. Thanks!

tbonesullivan

Did it buzz before you raised the low E? Could be that one of the saddle screws is not making contact with the base plate. Also I think there is a cover on that bridge? Maybe it's loose?

gbeason

Good ideas. I lowered the saddle. The bridge doesn't have a cover, but I could hear a couple of buzzes. I tightened the screws on the pickguard, which helped. I loosened the truss rod some more because the low E was back to buzzing. The bridge is still buzzing, just more faintly. But it's enough that I hear it, which bugs me.

I've turned the truss now 3 times, 1/4 turn each time. That seems like a lot, but I don't know if that's unusual or not. Sadly, all my close guitar-playing friends don't live nearby anymore. :)

gbeason

A quick follow-up: After trying a couple of things, I took it to my local shop, where the guy was familiar with Ernie Ball. The bridge was floating just a hair too much and was the source for the buzzing. So, he adjusted the bridge to remove the buzzing and then the saddles & truss to get the action nice and low. So, it's now playing great.

However, the tremolo bar is stuck and won't come out. :)

PeteDuBaldo

A quick follow-up: After trying a couple of things, I took it to my local shop, where the guy was familiar with Ernie Ball. The bridge was floating just a hair too much and was the source for the buzzing. So, he adjusted the bridge to remove the buzzing and then the saddles & truss to get the action nice and low. So, it's now playing great.

However, the tremolo bar is stuck and won't come out. :)

If you remove the plastic trem spring cover on the back you will see a tiny hole in the tremolo block. There is a tiny hex screw in there that sets the depth of the bar. You (or the local shop you used) can simply adjust (tighten) this screw until the bar is more easily removed.

SBMM

Thanks! I see it and think I can adjust that.

It’s a 1.5mm.

I also recommend using light duty thread locker, as that adjustment screw works its way down from vibration, and you’ll have to adjust again.
Also, if you dive the trem and look through the rear of the unit, you’ll see another 1.5mm screw. That adjusts the bars tension.

I hope that this helps.

Brian

edhalen

Brian - former VP??? Bummer to see you're no longer with Praxis/SBMM. You always provided outstanding service. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Nhoj

It’s a 1.5mm.

I also recommend using light duty thread locker, as that adjustment screw works its way down from vibration, and you’ll have to adjust again.
Also, if you dive the trem and look through the rear of the unit, you’ll see another 1.5mm screw. That adjusts the bars tension.

I hope that this helps.

Brian Martin
Former VP, Praxis Musical, 2012 - Jan 2018
Product Guru All Things SBMM
[email protected]

Brian

Brian I love and like your "Guru" signature!

Last edited:

gbeason

For those who are interested, here's an update. Even with the fix I noted earlier, I found about 5 more frets that buzzed. I took it back to the shop. Now, it's too bad that the first guy didn't do this, but the second person checked the frets, which I could clearly see were out of level. I asked if a fret dressing would fix it, and he thought so. Unfortunately, it was a little rougher than he expected. He spent a lot of time with it. He fixed a good 90-95% of the problems. But the tone is a little off in a couple of places, namely on the 12th and 14th frets on the low E. It doesn't buzz, but it sounds slightly muted.

As others have noted on this forum, these Indonesian guitars go through a lot of temperature change which can affect the wood. But this luthier said that they also aren't built as precisely as others, even overseas guitars. I bought a '91 MIJ Strat in 1993, and though I could see where it was built cheaper, it was still a good guitar, and it didn't have this problem.

I read all the reviews and comments about this guitar that I could find, and I know several said that it was good. Apparently we just got one of those that required additional work. So, my daughter has a good guitar that has minor flaws. I still love the sound, look, and feel of the guitar. And my daughter likes having it back home. In hindsight, I'd probably have looked for a good on the Signature version.

gbeason

Final update: The buzzing wasn't as fixed as I thought. The E and A strings in particular had issues across multiple frets, even at the 7th. And the intonation wasn't right. I took it to a third tech where they sold EB and Sterling guitars. After a lot of work, including changes that Sterling suggested, he determined that the neck heel was high because the joint wasn't shaped correctly. It required adjusting either the neck or the pocket.

I wasn't expecting anything, but I contacted Sterling and explained the history. They were great and offered to replace it. It arrived yesterday morning, and she tuned and played it immediately. It felt and played as well as we expected.

Needless to say, I'm sold on EB and Sterling. I already thought their guitars are excellent. But when something does go wrong, great customer support makes it better. I'm already considering that when my daughter takes the St Vincent with her, I'll buy one for myself.

Top Bottom