• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

mrmckinney

I use the word need loosely...I have 12 guitars, 6 of which are EBMM. I am undecided on what to purchase. I have a Luke HSS with EMGs and FR trem, an LIII HH, an ASS-SH with piezo, a Game Changer HSHp, a Valentine, and an Armada. I, also, have a strat, tele, PRS baritone, a Taylor solid body electric with mini hums.
I only play my EBMMs anymore... and I want a new EBMM. I absolutely love the feel and tone of my LIII. I want something a little more stratty, I think. So I am torn between a Cutlass (HSS or SSS?), an HSS LIII, or an SSS AL. Which do you all think would give me the most versatility given my current arsenal? I was first dead set on a Tumescent LIII in HSS but am now wondering if it is too similar and if an AL or Cutlass would not be a better selection/variant.
Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Astrofreq

Get a reflex! I'm kidding of course. :)

CUTLASS SSS all the way! I love mine. Granted, I haven't heard the HSS, but I have plenty of guitars with humbuckers in the bridge, so I'm glad I bought the SSS.

mrmckinney

Oh, man, I do miss that Reflex. I kinda agree, Rad. I have a lot of HH options. I am feeling like an SSS, either AL or Cutlass, is gonna be my answer.... but, boy, do I love the LIII. Haha

jones4tone

I don't think there's a bad option in the three you listed. And history says you will likely end up with all three eventually, anyway, so... :p

I do think the AL or Cutlass would add more to your current stable, since you do have lots of humbucker bridge pickups. The Cutlass SSS is great (my son has one, and I love it). I've only played the AL SSS in a shop (and someone else bought it! Had a gorgeous maple neck on this new pinkburst.) so I don't have a lot of time with that one.

I don't think Jason's taken your history into account in saying that the AL HH would be the last guitar you ever bought! :D

xjbebop

""I don't think Jason's taken your history into account in saying that the AL HH would be the last guitar you ever bought! ""

No, but it could very well become you favorite, as it has for many of us. :)

I'll just add that the neck profiles are noticeably different from the LIII and an AL, so it depends on how important that is to you.
I ended up trading my LIII for another AL because of this...

tbonesullivan

I would ask, how many guitars that you have are equipped with a bridge humbucker? If you really like that fat bridge tone, the luke III HSS is a very good option. The S pickups are I believe custom dimarzio noiseless pickups, like their Area series, so there won't be any hum. They also have a good output, and with the active preamp and compensation for the notch positions, it's just a great option.

If you like that Luke Neck shape, definitely go for it.

Magic Jason

As you can see in my profile, I love both the Luke and the AL. If I were to chose, I wouldn't hesitate. Not for a second. AL has so much inherent magic while the Luke is "just" a great guitar. When you play an AL, you don't feel cool, you ARE.

jones4tone

No, but it could very well become you favorite, as it has for many of us. :)

Please know that was no slight to the AL. I intend to add an AL HH in the future, and likely a standard AL, as well. The right opportunities just haven't come around yet for me. It's just that I know how hard it is to buy "my last EBMM guitar."

GWDavis28

Well I don't know much about the Cutlas, but I think the AL or Silo Special (SSS) combination might fit your need.

Just my opinion, Glenn |B)

mrmckinney

So I am sure this is elsewhere on the forum but has the AL it own neck profile or is it shared with another model?

Astrofreq

I remember listening to demos from both the Cutlass and the AL. Both were great, but definitely different tones for sure. I preferred the Cutlass obviously.

mrmckinney

I want both, of course, and REALLY dig your Starry Night one, radrock! I need to get one now and maybe in a few months get the other. I think the AL might be a flavor I cannot really get from my current stock. My Fender strat is not going anywhere (was my first guitar) so I might wait to see what the next PDN is for the Cutlass...

Top Bottom