• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

moozak

Hi everyone...

Been lurking for quite a while... lots of great info and seems like a great group of people.

So my question is this:

I’ve been interested in a Luke for quite some time now, but I’m an older guy and grew up with pick guards so I tend to anchor my fingers on the face of the guitar (where the pick guard would normally be).

So just wondering, Does anyone here anchor their fingers on the face of their Luke guitar when picking and if so how does the finish hold up?

dibart77

Finish is great. Polyester. All good. Axis and Luke 1 and Luke II and Luke III all have no pickguard and life is good. Unless maybe you're a crazy punk guy who strums like crazy, you are fine.

Craiguitar

No problem with any of the Luke models for me. I play generally with a pick, but often with fingers, and depending on what I'm playing, I may anchor my right hand on the face of the guitar. It's fine.

Rick C

My matte finish Majesty Arctic Dream has a little shiny spot between the pups just below the top E string where my fingers sometimes rest. My Takamine acoustic doesn't have a pick guard and has a much bigger shiny patch on it's otherwise matte finish. Even my ebony Les Paul now has a little dull patch on the otherwise shiny surface because I removed the pick guard.

I should note that I usually wash my hands before playing.

BrickGlass

I rest my fingers just above the pickup selector and have zero issues with the finish. Been playing Luke’s for almost two decades.

glockaxis

No problem here. I sometimes anchor my pinkie at the middle pickup or humbucker- depends on what I'm playing and whether it's with a pick or fingers.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I've thought about this in the past too. Honestly, you'll notice the difference at first but if you give it a little time you absolutely will become totally accustomed to it. Over the years I've done more than a thousand gigs switching from electric guitar to mandolin. If I can do that seamlessly without ever thinking about it, you can get used to a guitar with no pickguard. I promise! :)

moozak

I've thought about this in the past too. Honestly, you'll notice the difference at first but if you give it a little time you absolutely will become totally accustomed to it. Over the years I've done more than a thousand gigs switching from electric guitar to mandolin. If I can do that seamlessly without ever thinking about it, you can get used to a guitar with no pickguard. I promise! :)

Well it wasn’t so much of an issue as to whether or not I could get used to it, the issue is whether or not I would wear a spot on the top where I might anchor my fingers.

click track

"Well it wasn’t so much of an issue as to whether or not I could get used to it, the issue is whether or not I would wear a spot on the top where I might anchor my fingers"

Welcome Moozak !

my JP6 seems fine / High gloss polyester / both Luke and JP have the same finish and it seems much more durable than the LP Standard I played heavily for 12 years and there where no real noticeable wear marks on that.

One thing I have noticed in searching form my next used EBMM that the neck seems to discolor more that anything else, have not seen a heavily played EBMM with any noticeable body wear marks. At least this has been my experience.

I also was going for a Luke initially but I had a chance to try out the JP6 and WOW loving it / I will get a Luke but "prolly" after I get an Axis I suspect. These guitars are addictive because they are so inspiring, my level of play has exponentially improved !!

Good Luck !!!

Last edited:

Astrofreq

The Axis was my main guitar for ages and the lack of pick guard was never an issue. My main guitars now DO however, but to me it's just a looks thing.

Bryan

No pickguard hasn't been a problem for me either. It's just such a great playing guitar that you just find yourself playing and not thinking about the guitar or the feature set.

At least that's my experience.

Top Bottom