• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

jds22

Hey everybody, is the warranty transferable if I sell while still covered by the factory warranty?

Thanks

LenaEBMMfan

Of course not silly lol jk
But no
(Unless there’s a SERIOUS factory defect which isn’t probably the issue ?)

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
On the Music Man website, you will find this (which I assume is valid only in the US)...

Ernie Ball, Inc. (hereafter "EB") warrants for one (1) year from date of purchase by the initial retail purchaser that this product shall be free from defects in material and workmanship. Any material or workmanship determined defective by EB within the one (1) year term shall be repaired or replaced by without charge for parts and labor provided the unit is returned, transportation costs prepaid, to Ernie Ball, Inc., 4117 Earthwood Lane, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401, or to such facility authorized by EB. EB will pay shipping costs to return the unit to it's owner.

I read this to mean that anybody can make a claim provded it is within one year of the original puchase date. That means of course that the new owner must have all the correct documentation and proof of purchase.

However I do not work for EBMM and I may be wrong. If you need to know in a hurry for sure, pick up the phone and call EBMM customer service.

In general (looking at all types of products) the rules vary widely by manufacturer and by country. In some cases the warranty is valid from date of purchase, as as long you have proof of purchase you're golden. In other cases warranty is only valid between original customer and the store they bought from. And the length of warranty is legally mandated in many countries (two year minimum in the EU, but often longer, e.g. 6 years in England and Wales). In France, you even have a two year warranty on used goods that you buy from a professional retailers (though after 6 months you must prove the fault is workmanship or material defect).

Last edited:

Sweat

Yep Jeff you are correct, warranty only applies to the person who buys it new and registers the guitar. If you do not register then no warranty at all I would assume.

kimonostereo

Yeah, Jeff is correct. Had to get a pickup replaced in a less than a year old Axis that I bought used and because I wasn't the original owner I had to pay for the replacement and send back the defective pickup.

Top Bottom