• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Jim Dandy

The specs on the new 2018 Stingray 4 look very impressive! I have a couple of questions about it. Are the pre-amp and pickup the same as what's in the Bongo? With the weight reduction in the hardware, does anyone know what the average weight if the 4 string will be? I'm guessing at slightly under 9 lbs?

JayDawg

My understanding is yes, the preamp and pickups are the same as the Bongo. With the new aluminum hardware, the average weight reduction is around 1.5lbs.. I have not played a new one yet but from what I hear, the weight reduction is very, very noticeable.

Jim Dandy

Thanks for the quick reply JayDawg! I was going to get an Old Smoothie, but now I'm definitely waiting to try the new Stingrays first.

tbonesullivan

I read that the pickups are neodymium like the bongo, but they are wound to stingray specs. So, it won't just be a bongo that looks like a stingray.

vates

Maybe it's too early to ask but nevertheless:
Will it be possible to order a charging green 4H with rosewood fretboard and matching headstock?
Thanks!

RocketMusic

Maybe it's too early to ask but nevertheless:
Will it be possible to order a charging green 4H with rosewood fretboard and matching headstock?
Thanks!

Sorry, looks like Charging Green is only available with a Maple board and plain headstock at the moment.

For that matter, I don't see any matching headstocks available in the new Stingray colors.

five7

How long does it normally take for the MM webpage to be updated after NAMM.

PeteDuBaldo

Sorry, looks like Charging Green is only available with a Maple board and plain headstock at the moment.

For that matter, I don't see any matching headstocks available in the new Stingray colors.

Correct and correct.

DSC2815-Custom-1.jpg

MaxKlein40

My understanding is yes, the preamp and pickups are the same as the Bongo. With the new aluminum hardware, the average weight reduction is around 1.5lbs.. I have not played a new one yet but from what I hear, the weight reduction is very, very noticeable.

If it has a 3 band how is the preamp the same as a 4 band bongo pre? Did they just pick one of the mid bands? Also 1 or 2 batteries?

bovinehost

Administrator
What Scott told me was the electronics on the new Stingrays are "bongo-ish". Clearly, the pickups are using the same magnets as the Bongo pickups - but are then wound differently. So while I haven't had a convo with him about the preamp, it stands to reason that it's "Bongo-ish" but not Bongo, thus the 3 band.

I will stand by to be corrected if this is incorrect.

And yes, an 18v preamp would require 2 9v batteries.

Top Bottom