• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

mrmckinney

I recently picked up an Axis on eBay at what I thought was a steal. It arrived it much poorer condition than described in the listing. I will snap some pictures and post but first I want to describe it and see what you all think.
First it has neck pocket cracks on both sides. These are much longer than I’ve seen on any other guitars previously. The second, and most concerning, is that the back of the neck, where the locking nut screws go through has stress cracks on both sides and between the screws. Here are other cosmetic issues but those I can live with. I am worried primarily that his thing has seen some serious abuse. Any thoughts? I’ve only ever owned two FR equipped guitars and neither had these issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zman9mm

Sounds like you have an older Axis since the locking nut goes all the way through the neck (if I’m understanding correctly). In these older guitars, it’s common to see the cracks in the neck pocket. These are typically cracks in the paint/lacquer and not actually cracks in the wood itself. These cracks are totally harmless and cosmetic only (if they are indeed in the paint and not the wood).

Now, the cracks in the neck near the locking nut... that’s a whole other issue. Get those pictures posted so we can have a better idea of what you are dealing with .....

mrmckinney

The guy has given me a real hard luck story for which I feel a bit bad but I am pretty uncomfortable with its condition. He has also offered more than half my purchase price back to keep it.
7d5e3b94a9857c9ac78042d8dae672a9.jpg
c8cb9c88ab241d499877fa4e97dbd4ef.jpg
5d40361a5f0920fd2c9bcfea1a499ce2.jpg

Last edited:

kimonostereo

Neck joint "cracks" are common due to the tight neck pocket and the rigidity of polyurethane once it dries. Many of us have these.

As for the photos you have where the locking nut is, it's hard to tell from your photos, but if I were to guess, I'd say that it's just a crack in the poly finish and nothing is wrong with the neck.

mrmckinney

Thanks. I took the neck and the nut off to give it a thorough cleaning and check that the cracks were not into the wood and they do not appear to be... just made me really nervous. I am not very familiar with FR and was not sure what I was getting into.

JayDawg

If the guitar was in worse condition than described, I would try and get your money back. No telling how it was treated.

mrmckinney

Well, with what I have in it after the partial refund, I can live with taking a chance on it. I will post an NGD when I get her cleaned up. The strings and frets were corroded and it was just overall filthy. We will see how it cleans up.

tbonesullivan

Looking at the locking nut cracks, one seems to go from the poly into the area of the neck that is oiled. From the first picture.

mrmckinney

Looking at the locking nut cracks, one seems to go from the poly into the area of the neck that is oiled. From the first picture.

Good catch! I did not notice that. So you would then suspect that the crack is actually in the wood of the neck?

In the end, if I keep it, I will only have $300 in the guitar because he offered a substantial refund. It does not have a proper case. The case it was shipped in does not fit properly. So basically a case ($100 or so) plus, potentially, a replacement neck? Anyone have an idea what a replacement neck would cost? The top is in decent shape and looks pretty cool as it is aged about 20 years based on the date stamp on the neck. The neck feels well worn but frets seem to be nearly perfect. I sorta figure the hardware and body are worth that money. Thoughts?

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
For a replacement neck, you'd have to send in the old one back. But, if you are only $300 is, send the guitar to music man. They can replace the neck if necessary, or refret if necessary, and send it back to you in fantastic condition at an excellent price. Give them a call.

tbonesullivan

I would have an expert take a look at it. What we see in the pictures is a lot different than what can be seen in person. Taking the neck off and the locking nut off as well would really allow the structural integrity to be examined.

mrmckinney

I spoke to customer service and they told me that those cracks were one of the reasons they switched to the new style nut. Billy said it is not a problem unless it becomes a problem. Glad to hear. I have several hours of cleanup (the frets are extremely corroded), polishing, and setup ahead but maybe it will play well. I got to get a properly fitting case as the one it came in is certainly not right.

tbonesullivan

I hope you enjoy it! I've often thought about getting an axis, though I think the super sport version is more of my style.

Top Bottom