• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Sumjunak

These are pics of a pawn shop guitar, obviously and Axis Super Sport that I haven't bought yet... Something just seems off. I'm not very familiar with the Music Man Guitars, but something keeps drawing me back to it. I'm hoping that the kind people of this forum can look and the pics and advise me of what to look for. Thank you in advance. IMG_0876.jpg IMG_0877.jpg IMG_0878.jpg IMG_0879.jpg IMG_0880.jpg

spychocyco

I'd run the Serial number through CS and see if it matches up with the specs of the guitar. At the very least, it looks like it's been poorly refinished and the pickups are not original.

beej

Oh wow. Looks legit to me ... correct hardware, recessed neck plate, etc. The pickups could be stock as well, they were originally offered in black for the sports (I have a set).

What do they want for it?

Sumjunak

Thanks all! I don’t think I need to proceed. The refinish cuts the value in at least half. Then I’d be overpaying. I look at the guitar collection partially as an investment, so if I it sits long enough to hit their bottom price, I’ll come snider it again. But for now it’s a move on and find something else.

tbonesullivan

I never understand why people do that to guitars. If you spend that much money on a guitar, freakin get a PRO to refinish it. This also means it's missing the original silk screening on the headstock as well, which I doubt you could get EBMM to agree to put on again.

I would say if you are looking for a great player, it would be a good choice, but only at a really low price. Who knows how high quality that finish is.

kimonostereo

This, and all of the above. It's an older model with the recessed plate. You could call EBMM right now with the s/n and get the original specs. If the price was right, I'd buy it..... ;)

And depending on how thick that finish is, either color sand and buff or strip and redo it :)

xjbebop

re-strip it and paint it this ---

DSC2860.jpg

:D

spychocyco

I'd take it for the right price, knowing that I'd have to put a few hundred into a pro paint job for it. If they're wanting an Axis price for it with that refinish, though, I think pass is the correct choice.

Spudmurphy

iF the price was right and
IF i was in the states I'g go after that but .....

alas I'm in the UK.

I've already "saved" a JP6 from the states (MD resprayed white that I got back to original)
but this one would probably be not worth importing due to the work required.

xjbebop

Thanks all! I don’t think I need to proceed. The refinish cuts the value in at least half. Then I’d be overpaying. I look at the guitar collection partially as an investment.

I think this earlier post get's us in the ballpark of the asking price...???

Top Bottom