• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Capt994

Bought a Majesty Monarchy approximately two months ago. First, I want to say this guitar is an absolute monster and such much fun to play. I was practicing a few days ago and pushed the volume knob to engage the gain boost. After a few minutes, I pushed the volume knob again to resume normal volume level and the push/push function failed. It was stuck in the gain boost mode. I pushed the volume knob approximately a dozen times, trying to get it back to normal volume level and it finally engaged. Now, I'm hesitant to use it because obviously there's a problem with it. I contacted Ernie Ball via email and they gave me two options: (1) They would ship a new pot and I could install it myself. (2) I could ship the guitar to them and they would install the new pot for free, since its under warranty. However, they only cover shipping one-way.

Has anyone experienced this type of problem before? If I were to install the new pot myself, I'm assuming some type of soldering work is required. I've never soldered anything before, so I would probably have to pay a luthier to do it for me. If I ship the guitar to their California shop, I'm sure shipping would be fairly expensive (I live in FL), plus I'd be without the guitar for a few weeks. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated!

beej

Replacing a pot is a pretty easy job for someone who's handy. Any decent tech (or anyone handy with a soldering iron) should be able to do it fairly quickly. Shouldn't cost you much to find someone local to do it.

If you're really concerned, ask for some references from the shop you take it to. Or ask for a suggestions for a good tech in your area.

tekwerk

Contact customer service for advice on this, but is sounds like the knob top slipped ever so slightly and is not letting the pot shaft push down all the way into normal position. Again, customer service can advise you as to the best course of action.

RAIN27

I had a similar Problem with my JP15 Blue Berry Burst. It was my Tone Knob Push/Push Potentiometer. I ordered the Parts and did it myself... It's better left for someone with experience. I would bring it to your local luthier.

Also, like someone else said .... it could be that the Volume Knob itself loosened up and now is misaligned sitting to far down the Volume Shaft of the Potentiometer. Try removing the Volume knob and see if it works without it on...

Etudica

Replacing a pot is a pretty easy job for someone who's handy. Any decent tech (or anyone handy with a soldering iron) should be able to do it fairly quickly.

What Beej said. Get a decent soldering iron with adjustable temp and easily interchangeable tips if you don't have one already. Also very important to choose quality solder (I prefer 63/37 .020" for work like this). Once you get the setup that works best for you then you are set forever! Don't cheap out on tools... buy once, cry once.

The way I see it, the risk of potentially messing up a component while soldering is immensely lower than the risk that some delivery guy will punt your box off the back of a truck on it's way to/from customer service. Of course, there many other scenarios where I would definitely recommend letting the experts handle it.

Capt994

Thanks for the feedback guys! Ernie Ball is shipping me a new pot. I've never used a soldering iron before and this guitar is way too nice for me to begin my first crash course in soldering work, so I will have a luthier do it for me. Stuff happens...not a big deal. This is still the sleekest, most state-of-the-art guitar I've ever played.

JamieCrain

It could also be the pot itself has recessed further into the cavity. This might happen if the small nut on the spindle of the pot that holds it in place to the body is loose, the effect being similar to the knob being loose as described above and not being able to push far enough. Best to check this before any soldering.

If you go the soldering option, a luthier is probably overkill noting that electrical engineering isn’t their core skill. But understandable if you don’t want to do it yourself. Vol pots are perhaps the easiest components to swap though the Majesty cavity is really full. Ask if you can watch him or her do it. Separately try practicing some soldering on old components for future issues or mods. You’ll get the hang of it quickly.

Top Bottom