• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
West Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Howdy forum,

I own an EBMM Axis and its my #1 guitar. It probably sounds the best of all my guitars and it has my favourite neck shape ever =) I've been hunting for a new guitar, going back and fourth between an axis or peavey HP2 or some kind of custom Jackson/ Charvel. When I play my guitars back to back, the Axis always sounds the best, which is why I'm thinking of getting another. Having said that, I'd like something a little different to justify owning two models of the same guitar and I'm trying to find details of any new Axis models set to be released? Roasted necks and SS frets seem to be all the rage these days and I'd love to find an Axis with those two items. Also, the awesome pickups and floyd rose are a must. That 20-db pickup booster that other EBMM models might be a welcome addition too! Sadly, I can't afford that Koa topped Axis. $4k is just too much dough for me.

My local shop said a few new Axis models were in the pipeline but didn't have much info or specs on them besides a picture or two. I'm trying to track down some details on future models to see if I should hold out for one or go in a different direction like the PV or Charvel. Thanks for any help or info.

Peace~

spychocyco

I picked up a Starry Night ASS with the roasted neck and SS frets last year, and I love it. Very different character from my standard Axis, but still with that same awesome neck. I wouldn't discount the Super Sport just because of the trem. Granted I don't do a lot of dive-bombing, but I have zero stability or tuning issues with the regular trem. I still occasionally see a new Starry Night Axis or ASS out there in the $2,000-$2,300 range, so that might be a good option.

You may want to look at some of the new BFR models that are coming out now with the mahogany bodies. That would certainly give you a different flavor. The BFRs are on the higher end of the price spectrum, but they're pretty sweet. The trans-black from a few months ago and last month's aqua blue were just over $3k (of course, those are both SS, so no Floyd), and there's a purple one that I'm waiting to see the specs on coming in March.

Last edited:
West Hartford, Connecticut, United States
I picked up a Starry Night ASS with the roasted neck and SS frets last year, and I love it. Very different character from my standard Axis, but still with that same awesome neck. I wouldn't discount the Super Sport just because of the trem. Granted I don't do a lot of dive-bombing, but I have zero stability or tuning issues with the regular trem. I still occasionally see a new Starry Night Axis or ASS out there in the $2,000-$2,300 range, so that might be a good option.

You may want to look at some of the new BFR models that are coming out now with the mahogany bodies. That would certainly give you a different flavor. The BFRs are on the higher end of the price spectrum, but they're pretty sweet. The trans-black from a few months ago and last month's aqua blue were just over $3k (of course, those are both SS, so no Floyd), and there's a purple one that I'm waiting to see the specs on coming in March.

I'll keep my eyes open for a starry night. However, I do really want a floyd rose. that's a must in my book.

BrickGlass

The trem on my Luke (which is the same as the ones on the Axis Super Sport models) is just as stable as damn near anything, including a Floyd. Little lubricant and you are in dive bomb business.

tbonesullivan

I've got a Luke III with the floating trem and locking tuners, and honestly It's stable as a rock. Just make sure the nut and trem posts are lubricated. With a non-floating trem like on the Axis it should be even less of an issue. The original Luke 1 model had a floyd, but the EBMM vintage trem was good enough that the Luke 2 and III just have a floating vintage trem with locking tuners.

bhull

I'd like something a little different to justify owning two models of the same guitar

Honestly, none needed. You love the guitar, that's all the justification you need.

There are people around here with multiples of guitars that are simply in different colors.

But I can give you a little help with some reasons

1. If you play a lot, maybe you want to spread the wear and tear across more than one axe
  2. Experiment with different tunings
  3. Experiment with a different setup, string action, etc

Good luck. I just picked up a quilt trans gold axis myself that will be getting here next week. Incoming NGD (used, but new for me).

Top Bottom