• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

scottbaiowulf

Is there a decent resource online anywhere about the USA SUB series? I can't really find out much about them other than the fact that they're basically a StingRay Classic with a poplar body and weird paint job. I recently bought a used teal one to replace the StingRay that I had to sell to pay medical bills last year and I've been really surprised by how good of a bass it is and want to learn more about the series. It doesn't seem like they were around very long and given how cheap they are on the used market it doesn't seem like people realize what they are (maybe bc of brand confusion with the new Sterling SUB series?). The bottom line is I love this bass, maybe even more than the actual StingRay I had to sell, and would love to learn more about how they came about, how long they were made, and why they were discontinued, but haven't been able to find much. Thanks!

tbonesullivan

The "SUB" series was a more budget-minded USA made series.. They have poplar bodies, a textured finish, a finished neck (not hand rubbed oil and wax) and all have the 2 band graphic EQ. Most I have seen are black and some type of textured pickguard.

A lot of brands at that time were offering stripped down guitars with black matte finishes

Rod Trussbroken

SUB 4 (four String) and SUB 5 (five string) were available from 2003-2006. Both used the Sting Ray 2EQ preamp but passive electronics was optional. The 5 string was shaped like the present Classic Series SR5 rather than the regular SR5.

The Sterling SUB was available from 2004-2006. It used an earlier SR5 3EQ preamp. There was no option of passive electronics.

Fretless was optional for all the SUB Basses.

I believe S.U.B. may be Sterling Ball's initials (Big Poppa).

P.S. All three SUB Basses had Alnico pickups. Options for the textured finishes were black, white, teal, red, blue, graphite and cinnamon. Pick guards were optional aluminium diamond plate or matte black.

Last edited:

five7

I have owned 17 of them, great instruments. My white passive sub 5 is a keeper. Plays like a dream!

bovinehost

Administrator
I believe S.U.B. may be Sterling Ball's initials (Big Poppa).

True, his middle name is Ulysses.

Okay, no, not really - SUB was "Sport Utility Bass".

FWIW, I have a teal model SUB and it's one of the better Stingrays I've ever played - and for no good reason at all. It was off the rack at Guitar Center, I think, nothing special - but it's one of THOSE.

JayDawg

My pastor at the Calvary Chapel that I was on staff at had one. It played and sat in the mix incredibly well. It was actually because of that bass that I retired my 2 mid 90’s Ibanez Soundgear basses and got my first Music Man, a Sterling 4H. And now, I have a plethora with more to come.

Rod Trussbroken

True, his middle name is Ulysses.

Okay, no, not really - SUB was "Sport Utility Bass".

FWIW, I have a teal model SUB and it's one of the better Stingrays I've ever played - and for no good reason at all. It was off the rack at Guitar Center, I think, nothing special - but it's one of THOSE.

Ok. Thanks Jack :D

BTW I got to try the 4 and 5 at "Open House". Great Basses :cool:

Last edited:

scottbaiowulf

Mine is the teal model too. I bought it to be a placeholder until I could afford to replace the StingRay I had to sell but it’s so good that at this point I have no plans to do that. I don’t know if it’s the 2-band preamp but I think it actually sounds better than my StingRay did.

mika77270

Hi everyone,
Had the opportunity to buy a brand New old stock Musicman SUB USA and she s a stunner. Can someone can give me the official paint/finish used for the back of the neck? How do i clean it and prevent the paint to rip off like in most of the second hand Musicman sub usa i see in the market? Can i use polish like for a guitar body? How Can i protect this paint, Can i put some laquer on it to protect the paint?

mouth

Hi everyone,
Had the opportunity to buy a brand New old stock Musicman SUB USA and she s a stunner. Can someone can give me the official paint/finish used for the back of the neck? How do i clean it and prevent the paint to rip off like in most of the second hand Musicman sub usa i see in the market? Can i use polish like for a guitar body? How Can i protect this paint, Can i put some laquer on it to protect the paint?

You can clean it with a bit of polish, or one of those guitar body cleaners like Dunlop 65. Just spray a bit on a clean rag/paper cloth, clean the neck and the wipe it off. No need to do anything drastic. I've heard people say they used nitro because the black paint comes off easily with acetone/nail polish remover, but the clear coat of poly under it stays intact. I played mine for a few years (live gigging and home use) and the black paint never came off. It's really not that sensitive.

five7

Don't let rubbing alcohol set on it for any amount of time, the paint will come right off. I learned the hard way.

Robbocurry

Three years since the last post - my apologies in advance!
I’ve had four SUBs, three black and one burgundy. First black one was brand new when they were launched, the others picked up used off eBay. The last one I’ve acquired is the nicest playing and sounding and hardly a mark on it.
They’re all really good but this last one really sings!
My question is - I’m sure I knew this in 200x - there was a SUB and a SUB bass.
I thought it was a passive/active differentiation but I’ve seen both with battery boxes on the back soooo??
Anyone know??
Thanks in advance 👍🏻😉

Rod Trussbroken

Three years since the last post - my apologies in advance!
I’ve had four SUBs, three black and one burgundy. First black one was brand new when they were launched, the others picked up used off eBay. The last one I’ve acquired is the nicest playing and sounding and hardly a mark on it.
They’re all really good but this last one really sings!
My question is - I’m sure I knew this in 200x - there was a SUB and a SUB bass.
I thought it was a passive/active differentiation but I’ve seen both with battery boxes on the back soooo??
Anyone know??
Thanks in advance 👍🏻😉
It was only an update of the headstock logo. It started as "SUB" in 2003 and then "SUB BASS" from 2004. The logo was the same for active and passive. From memory there was also a SUB Guitar so that may have had something to do with it.

Robbocurry

It was only an update of the headstock logo. It started as "SUB" in 2003 and then "SUB BASS" from 2004. The logo was the same for active and passive. From memory there was also a SUB Guitar so that may have had something to do with it.
Ahh, that makes sense - thanks for the info!
I wonder how rare the passive ones were and what they sounded like? As I eluded in my post, the last one I’ve picked up really sounds awesome.
Thanks again!

Rod Trussbroken

Ahh, that makes sense - thanks for the info!
I wonder how rare the passive ones were and what they sounded like? As I eluded in my post, the last one I’ve picked up really sounds awesome.
Thanks again!
You don't see that many Passives around but I don't know the numbers. They sound great and still sound Sting Ray.

Last edited:
Top Bottom