• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

loser

Just got my white St. Vincent today, love how it looks & feels, however there's some pretty aggressive buzzing across the board, particularly on the low e. It's been pretty cold this week while the guitar was on its way, so could the cold have just messed some stuff up/could it just need a bit of set up work? The action doesn't look TOO low, but what do I know.

It was still in the plastic inside the case, so I'm the first person
to touch it since it left the factory.

Thanks!

mikeller

Let it acclimate to your climate for a few days.

I know you say across the board - is buzzing up and down the neck as well? Or worse in certain areas?

It may just need a truss road adjustment - but I'd try to ignore for a few days.

tbonesullivan

Definitely let it settle in for a few days. It also may need a truss rod adjustment after that if the action is just too low. What kind of moisture level do you maintain in your guitar area?

Wahoonc

The necks can be sensitive to humidity, so if you are where cold means the heat runs a lot and dries the air, then you might want to check that too. Usually in the plastic means from the factory untouched, so after acclimating should be good methinks. Can tweak the truss, if necessary, and that’s about all that’s usually required.

loser

Thanks for the replies y'all.

I'm up in the northeast, so cold means COLD and dry, and the guitar travelled across the country to get here; very very slight fret ends in a couple spots from that journey, but not enough for me to care. Letting it acclimate, and hoping that'll do it, however the low E really is INSANE. Total beehive, from open E to the highest fret. My guitar area is just my room in a small apartment with air vents, so there's not a ton I can do for that besides keeping them in cases. The neck does look like it may be a bit too straight (as in, completely straight, no relief), so a slight adjustment should fix that, but the severity of the low E vs other strings is still concerning to me.

Wait and see I guess. Aside from this issue, the guitar is PHENOMENAL, and this neck is unlike anything I've ever felt.

Last edited:

edhalen

Congrats and welcome to the family! We have a rule around here - no pics, no guitar!!! Let's see 'em!!! :) Also, don't be a stranger, LOTS of great people in this part of the interwebs.

loser

Capoing the 1st and fretting the 16th, I can't fit a .73 pick under the 8th; the string is just about touching the fret. I assume some relief is in the neck's future, in this case? Having sat for a day it's gotten slightly better, but still pretty intense.

As for pics

IMG_3664.jpg

Here's the best I got right now. It's a really gorgeous white, love the slight contrast with the pg.

mikeller

You could try turning (loosen) the truss a bit and giving some time to settle and see if that helps. I usually loosen about the distance from one of the holes to the other (maybe 1/4 inch) at a time and allow it sometime to settle.

Great looking guitar!!!!

loser

Also, since I've already got a thread going... with these unfinished rosewood necks, what should my post-play care routine be? On a nitro finish or w/e I'd normally wipe it down with a dry cleaning cloth after use, but should I do anything different here to avoid working dirt into the grain? How often should I use the wipes they imclude with it, if I decide to buy more?

Thanks dudes

loser

ALRIGHTY, so during some late night playing I decided to try a slight truss rod adjustment; loosened it about the distance from one hole to the next. Raised the action on the higher frets but did seemingly nothing for my low E, so I put it back to where it was. This may be a job for someone more competent than myself lol.

Here's a couple more photos for ya's

IMG_3668.jpg IMG_3669.jpg

tbonesullivan

Have you measured the action on the strings? Seems odd that only the E would be causing lots of buzz. Maybe it's a bad string.

PeteDuBaldo

Thanks for the replies y'all.

I'm up in the northeast, so cold means COLD and dry, and the guitar travelled across the country to get here; very very slight fret ends in a couple spots from that journey, but not enough for me to care. Letting it acclimate, and hoping that'll do it, however the low E really is INSANE. Total beehive, from open E to the highest fret. My guitar area is just my room in a small apartment with air vents, so there's not a ton I can do for that besides keeping them in cases. The neck does look like it may be a bit too straight (as in, completely straight, no relief), so a slight adjustment should fix that, but the severity of the low E vs other strings is still concerning to me.

Wait and see I guess. Aside from this issue, the guitar is PHENOMENAL, and this neck is unlike anything I've ever felt.

If you are anywhere near Manchester CT then I'd be happy to take a look at the guitar with you.

buddy bean

Mine has the exact same problem. Haven't been able to fix it. I could raise the low E to 1/8", but that's no good for playing. I've tried everything I know and still have the buzz. Let me know if you get it fixed.

loser

I'm thinking it's either the saddle or, god forbid, the neck got a slight twist or some other such thing during the wild temperatures in shipping. If it's a defect I guess I have to hope GC still has another one kicking around in a warehouse or another store.

Rick C

my 2c: If the neck is almost straight/slight relief, the action is set right and the low E is still buzzing then there are two possible causes, the nut slot for the bass E is cut too low and/or there are some high frets. I'd be really surprised if the latter is the case and frankly the former too but it's not rocket science to check. I have a Majesty set really flat and action super low with 008-038 strings and it only buzzes at the top of the neck if I play harder; there's no reason why the St V can't be set-up the same. The comment "across the board" does suggest that the relief may be too flat but the OP has already adjusted this loose and back again.

There are loads of YouTube vids on set-up. Perform a quick fret height check using a credit card to rock across 3 frets at a time to put that one to bed then take a good look at the nut slots.

loser

Frets were fine when checked w/ card; should I just bring it back for an exchange at this point, or is it worth having a luthier take a look? If it's anything more than setup work, I'll be doing so anyway.

Top Bottom