• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

godzooky75

I've searched high and low for a wiring schematic for the St. Vincent HHH, but I've had no luck. I can't even find a picture of the inside of the control cavity... :mad:

I'm dying to know how it's wired! Any one have any info? :confused:

Anyone with a St. V willing to uncover the control cavity and snap some pics?

Pleeeease? :D

tbonesullivan

I would assume it's just a standard super switch like they use in a lot of their guitars. It's not a particularly complex switching setup from what I can see.

godzooky75

I haven't seen any of their other guitars with 3 humbuckers switching between series and parallel wiring. I assumed it was a 5-way superswitch, but I can't figure out the routing. If you have, please share.

tbonesullivan

I haven't seen any of their other guitars with 3 humbuckers switching between series and parallel wiring. I assumed it was a 5-way superswitch, but I can't figure out the routing. If you have, please share.

They don't. The Switching schematic means that the two coils of the humbucking pickups are wired in series, as there are some guitars that wire them in parallel. They are only listed as "series" when it's just one pickup, which is what you'd expect. When you have multiple pickups, those are wired in parallel, though the pickups are still wired in series internally.

If you look at the controls on the Cutlass HSS, you'll see that when just the bridge HB is selected, it says "series"
Cutlass HSS | Guitars | Ernie Ball Music Man . It also says that on the HSH Silo: Silhouette | Guitars | Ernie Ball Music Man and on the STeve Morse Y2d: Steve Morse Y2D | Guitars | Ernie Ball Music Man

Basically if only one pickup is connected, if it's a dual coil pickup, it displays the internal wiring. If two pickups are connected, it displays the wiring between them.

GWDavis28

I found this via googling.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/...ages/instruments/pickups/bodies-1/body-40.jpg

Pickup selector position, starting to the left
1: neck & bridge
2: all 3 pickups
3: neck
4: middle
5: bridge

But in 5th position, I appear to be getting the middle and bridge pickup rather than just the bridge pickup???

This pickup configurations is located on the St Vincent web page of Musicman.com

St. Vincent 2018 | Guitars | Ernie Ball Music Man

At the bottom under Controls and it's a bit new date wise than the image you have.

Glenn |B)

Interesting that 2 replies ago someone mentioned the 5'th position being bridge and middle.

I've been trying to replace the bridge pup on my sterling st. V. With a lace nitro hemi mini. It was kinda muddy, so today i was experimenting with putting a capacitor in series with the pup and attached temporarily with alligator clips. I tried a few different values and switched back to just the pup for reference. But with the hot lead totally disconnected i was still getting full signal from one of the other pickups. That would explain the overload of low frequencies muddying up the bridge when distorted. There's a jumper from the lug the bridge connects to to the one next to it. I wonder if that's the cause?

Anyone with answers or thoughts?

Top Bottom