• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
Hi guys!

I recently bought a Majesty 7 in Polar Noir. The guitar is a dream come true, sounds amazing. Didn't believe it's such a step forward and that it can be that much better than my old trusty JP6 until I plugged it in. Wow!

That being said I would like to get some info on how to keep it in great shape.

1. I read somewhere that the nut is "self-lubricating". How does it work? Is it still ok to use Planet Waves Lubrikit on it? It works great on my other guitars, but is it necessary on the Majesty?

2. How to clean a satin finish? It's my first guitar with such finish so I don't really know, but I guess guitar polish stuff like Dunlop 65 is not necessarily the best option, is it? Will wonder wipes do the job?

3. Same with the fretboard. Is dunlop 01 cleaner and 02 deep conditioner ok for the ebony board? Or is it better to use wonder wipes?

Maybe you have some other tips? Something important I should know? Thanks for the help!

mikeller

Congrats on the Majesty!!!! Let me try to answer your questions. This is what I do:

1. On all my guitars, I put a small drop of Tri Flow Lubricant in the nut slots with string changes, after the new strings are on. You may or may not need that. If there would happen to be any binding and strings returning sharp after using the trem, then I might use a little (emphasis on little) Big Bends Nut Sauce.

2. The matte finish on the Majesty will buff out to a shine over time if traditional guitar polishes are used. After I got mine, I was told by the customer service that Music Man uses Custom Shop FLATZ Matte Protectant (and auto product), and I found a large bottle online that will last a lifetime. I have never seen it again and wonder if it has been discontinued. I also often just wipe mine down with a microfiber Ernie Ball cloth, it really doesn't ever show fingerprints. I would recommend you contacting Music Man customer service for a recommendation since I don't believe this FLATZ is around now.

3. Ebony is a wonderful wood for fingerboards but can dry easily depending on climate. I usually use Wonder Wipes and put it on and let it set for a few seconds and wipe the excess off with a clean t-shirt rag .

Hope this helps. As always when in doubt Music Man customer service is awesome!!!!

MaxKlein40

3. Same with the fretboard. Is dunlop 01 cleaner and 02 deep conditioner ok for the ebony board? Or is it better to use wonder wipes?

I use Lemon Oil on my Ebony boards after every string change. Its cheaper than buying wonder wipes all the time. Heres a link to what I use. That bottle will last you years (ive been applying after every string change for two years, once every two weeks for two of my basses, and its half full still).

Kyser Dr. Stringfellow Lem-Oil | Musician's Friend

bhull

1. I read somewhere that the nut is "self-lubricating". How does it work? Is it still ok to use Planet Waves Lubrikit on it? It works great on my other guitars, but is it necessary on the Majesty?

I haven't done a thing to the nut on mine. I don't know how the "self-lubricating" works. I do know after several years, I can crank the hell out of the trem and it doesn't go out of tune, even after doing zero maintenance to the nut.

2. How to clean a satin finish? It's my first guitar with such finish so I don't really know, but I guess guitar polish stuff like Dunlop 65 is not necessarily the best option, is it? Will wonder wipes do the job?

As noted by another poster, don't use guitar polishing compounds due to the matte finish. I just use a large microfiber cloth. 90% of the time after a few minutes with that, the guitar is ready for a photo shoot. The other 10% of the time if there is some gunk on it, just a little dab of water on the cloth is all it needs.

I use wonder wipes twice a year during a string change.

Maybe you have some other tips? Something important I should know? Thanks for the help!

Don't use generic batteries. The cheapo ones tend to leak at rate far far above name brands. Stick with Energizer or Duracel.

You might notice the guitar will start to polish in spots after a lot of use. Don't sweat it. That's just what happens with matte guitars.

fjk1138

Congrats on your NG!

I can attest to using the Big Bends Sauce. I put a dab on the nut and even on the bridge rollers. Use as little as possible. The guitar holds it's tuning really well overall, unless I go bonkers with the trem.

So far, I really haven't had to polish mine much (I got mine in August last year), but I would agree that if you want to maintain the satin look in those areas just wipe it with a microfiber cloth.

I also have not yet had to put anything on the fretboard, but when the time comes I will be using the Wonder Wipes. I really like the way those work, and I've even be able to use the same wipe on the fret boards of 2-3 guitars usually, so if you have more than one axe I'd say do a couple at least if you can.

One thing I will say about the Majesty is that it's susceptible to humidity shifts, so unless you want to be adjusting all day long I highly recommend either keeping it in the case with humidipaks and/or run a humidifier at least in the room you keep it in if you intend to leave it out of the case.

Good luck and enjoy!

Top Bottom