• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

mrmckinney

So I am having trouble determining what the pick up selector positions are on my Albert Lee HH with coil split. I will bet someone on here knows the answer. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrmckinney

This is the current model. I am referring to the Guitar Center run that had the coil tap.

Last edited:

mischi_miyagi

I cannot find a schematic but I guess only positions 1, 3 and 5 are affected. You can find out by touching the different coil areas of the pickups with a screw driver in the various pickup selector positions to see which coils are active.
Cheers, Michael

mrmckinney

I cannot find a schematic but I guess only positions 1, 3 and 5 are affected. You can find out by touching the different coil areas of the pickups with a screw driver in the various pickup selector positions to see which coils are active.
Cheers, Michael

Great idea! Did not think of that. I assume that you are correct but would like to know for sure. I am not sure how much I will use the tap since I really like the 2 and 4 positions but would like to know, anyway.

beej

1 and 5 are split, to the outside coils. I believe ... and someone can correct me if I'm wrong ... that position 3 becomes a combination of a bridge coil in series with a a neck and bridge coil in parallel.

(I have an Axis wiring diagram showing a coil split and thought the AL was the same way.)

headcrash

Ah, great. That's the same schematic I've seen then.

May I kindly ask where to find the schematic? Under that link I "only" find the coil combinations (which is cool), but I am considering doing this to my guitars too and would like to see it in a schematic.

beej

So ... anyone that has the factory coil split AL or Axis ... any chance of posting a sound clip from position 3? I'd love to know what that sounds like.

xjbebop

Middle position w/ coils split.... to me it almost sounds like a strong out-of-phase tone. It's a great sound actually. Sorry I'm not set up for recording....

fbecir

Middle position w/ coils split.... to me it almost sounds like a strong out-of-phase tone. It's a great sound actually. Sorry I'm not set up for recording....

No problem. I have everything needed for recording. Just send your guitar to : FBecir, FRANCE
And I will take care of all the recordings needed. Trust me :D

xjbebop

No problem. I have everything needed for recording. Just send your guitar to : FBecir, FRANCE
And I will take care of all the recordings needed. Trust me :D

You need to get a hold of Magic Jason... he's got a couple and he's in your neck of the woods... ;)

mrmckinney

So ... anyone that has the factory coil split AL or Axis ... any chance of posting a sound clip from position 3? I'd love to know what that sounds like.

Just saw this... I will try to get a recording laid down this week...

mrmckinney

Get that boy a metronome... and some guitar lessons.... OK, beej... here is the position 3 demo as requested. Don't go snickerin' at my poor timing and messy chops. 😉

Amps used were a 2 Rock, Matchless, and a jumped Plexi all courtesy of Line 6 Helix and Glen DeLaune's patches.

AL HH Pos 3 Sample by Michael McKinney 14 | Free Listening on SoundCloud

And this is the offender in the clip...
c3ec172b7a3c008e298e29a61660bff3.jpg

Last edited:

beej

Hey thanks! That's pretty cool of ya. A very interesting sound actually, not what I expected. And solid playing, sir.

Top Bottom