• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

banjoplayer

sorry for being that nerdy...
anorak.jpg
screenshot is from here (3:50) The Bash - Dawn of the Dregs - Dixie Dregs Live - YouTube

I assume that most ...okay... some of us recognized that Steve played not his usual #1. It seemed to be a new blueburst. But looking closer reveals: matte pickguard and.... 6 bolts!

Is this #2 he got at last years NAMM? (Headstock can´t be seen clearly because of the clip tuner)

Does anybody know?
And - why?

Last edited:

kestrou

sorry for being that nerdy...
View attachment 33503
screenshot is from here (3:50) The Bash - Dawn of the Dregs - Dixie Dregs Live - YouTube

I assume that most ...okay... some of us recognized that Steve played not his usual #1. It seemed to be a new blueburst. But looking closer reveals: matte pickguard and.... 6 bolts!

Is this #2 he got at last years NAMM? (Headstock can´t be seen clearly because of the clip tuner)

Does anybody know?
And - why?
I don’t have inside information on this - but I would bet a shiny new nickel that’s #2. The headstock also matches “the first 50” logo and it’s clealy not #1.

Kevin

kestrou

I did ask Steve, while hanging with him at Vai Academy, if his old FrankenTele would be making an appearance on the Dregs tour and he said “No, not likely at all.”

Kevin

banjoplayer

28698909_1794329500631624_4807387592367212747_o.jpg

beej

I'd also like to know why. Is this one (let's call it "#2" for now) preferable to #1 with the new neck?

jwp333

Got to say that those pictures make Steve look like he is is in agony, is the wrist giving him more trouble in the Dregs format?

PeteDuBaldo

The Dregs put on a great show last night, and there were a ton smiles on the stage. A big thanks to Tommy and Steve, I had the opportunity to chat with them for a few minutes before the show last night.

Some of the main reasons that Steve is using #2 right now are:
- Currently prefers the sound of the pickups, as they were made in the same run as #1
- Prefers the older style bridge with slightly smaller diameter mounting posts

Dregs1.jpg

Dregs2.jpg

Dregs3.jpg

Dregs5.jpg

Dregs6.jpg

Dregs9.jpg

Dregs10.jpg

banjoplayer

Thanks Pete!!
great pictures and many thanks for asking Steve and Tommy!
You already replied to me on Facebook (Steffen)
The reasons for using #2 makes absolutely sense but why does #1 gets a break?

banjoplayer

From what I understand it has had somewhere around 9-10 refrets and it's better to minimize further wear on the neck at this point

Original #1 neck: yes
But #1 has a new roasted maple neck with stainless steel frets for some years now.
Here is Steve with #2 (left) and #1 w/ new neck (right)
(OMG I´m so nerdy:D:p)
STEVE-MORSE-WITH-1-AND-2-GUITAR.jpg

vuduhwy

Every time I see this guitar online I gotta stop what I'm doing and go play mine!!!!

Top Bottom