• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Junta

2016 Cutlass SSS question - what kind of silent circuit did I buy?

Hi Folks

My almost 3 year journey in looking for a Strat type guitar with a 'volume button away from my hand' might have ended :rolleyes: I looked into the new 2018 roasted maple neck Cutlass... I cannot afford or justify that price level.

So just a few hours ago, I ended up with a Vintage sun burst, SSS cutlass which was on sale for a decent price at a downtown Toronto store... It looks like this:

Music Man Cutlass SSS.jpg

The report card read: Guitar checked on Nov. 2016. 2 years plus is a loooong time for a guiatr to spend on the floor of a store (luckily this was hanging at ladder height, in a humidified room). Could have been bought, parts robbed and returned :(. The store, quite frankly, is not one I trust, so, did not bother asking :eek:

When I plugged in to a clean channel on small Mesa combo amp, it had the usual single coil buzz in the suspected positions. There was a battery in, but I could not verify if it had adequate juice :confused:

What kind of hum reduction should I expect from a 2016 Cutlass SSS? The store people said it is a very noisy room, but like I said, that store does not have my trust.

After buy I took it to my usual music store, and upon initial 30 sec inspection, it passed. I left it there for a 'floating bridge set up.'

Proud owner of an Albert Lee HH here... :cool:

three amigos small.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:

Fro

Congrats on the new guitar and that’s a nice Al HH. My Cutlass is really quiet but I don’t have a noise problem in my room so I’m really no help :)

beej

Hey nice! That was the one at Steve's I presume (around the corner from my office). Never understood why they had it so high up on the wall. It's like they didn't want to sell it.

The Silent Circuit is pretty good. But they're still real singles, so you're going to get some hum. I've always found it to be very effective though.

vuduhwy

I played one of those Cutlass guitars by chance a few months ago. I wasn't even wanting one. It really surprised me. If I was in the market for a traditional "S" type guitar, I would buy it and be done. However, I am not in the market for that kind of guitar because I like them purdy blue one MM makes that have way too many pickups :)

GVBender

Hope you enjoy the Cutlass. I've had mine for a week now (same color too). All my sessions have been direct to computer using software, but finally got around to plugging it into a real amp (Splawn Pro Stock) today with gain dialed back in Plexi mode. Holy smokes, did this guitar come alive. Every pickup position did it's own thing and I spent hours having fun with it.

TripHazard

Lovely guitar collection - Cutlass is a great addition. Been really pleased with mine and I find it virtually silent through my vibrolux

Junta

It is funny that you have seen the actual guitar that I bought!

Yeah, it was hanging way too high. Worked for me!

GVBender

I don't see one anywhere, unless it's hiding under the pickguard which seems unlikely. FWIW, I have no detectable noise from my pickups. Are you sure it wasn't just the amp? Have you tried it in any other environments (amps, rooms, etc.)? Would certainly start with a fresh battery.

Junta

I don't see one anywhere, unless it's hiding under the pickguard which seems unlikely. FWIW, I have no detectable noise from my pickups. Are you sure it wasn't just the amp? Have you tried it in any other environments (amps, rooms, etc.)? Would certainly start with a fresh battery.

the guitar is being set up for a floating vibrato... In 10 days I will find out I guess!

silverman

Hi Folks

My almost 3 year journey in looking for a Strat type guitar with a 'volume button away from my hand' might have ended :rolleyes: I looked into the new 2018 roasted maple neck Cutlass... I cannot afford or justify that price level.

So just a few hours ago, I ended up with a Vintage sun burst, SSS cutlass which was on sale for a decent price at a downtown Toronto store... It looks like this:

Music Man Cutlass SSS.jpg

The report card read: Guitar checked on Nov. 2016. 2 years plus is a loooong time for a guiatr to spend on the floor of a store (luckily this was hanging at ladder height, in a humidified room). Could have been bought, parts robbed and returned :(. The store, quite frankly, is not one I trust, so, did not bother asking :eek:

When I plugged in to a clean channel on small Mesa combo amp, it had the usual single coil buzz in the suspected positions. There was a battery in, but I could not verify if it had adequate juice :confused:

What kind of hum reduction should I expect from a 2016 Cutlass SSS? The store people said it is a very noisy room, but like I said, that store does not have my trust.

After buy I took it to my usual music store, and upon initial 30 sec inspection, it passed. I left it there for a 'floating bridge set up.'

Proud owner of an Albert Lee HH here... :cool:

three amigos small.jpg

Cheers!
That LP studio you have there is a thing of beauty. Don't think i have seen flam like that on them before.

John C

The Cutlass does require the battery to operate - the Silent Circuit on it is combined with an output buffer preamp (unlike the older Silent Circuit on the AL SSS models, Silhouette Specials and on some other retired models with MM-90 pickups that will work without the battery).

It sounds like you might need to adjust that trim pot once you get the guitar back (and of course put in a fresh battery).

Top Bottom