• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

milnik

Greetings!

I'm looking to do a full setup for my majesty. I'm wondering about how to block the trem without damaging the finish. I want to clean the fretboard before restringing so i need to block it.
Any tips are appreciated!

ErnieJohn

i recall seeing a video on youtube with JP's tech who mentioned he removes 2 strings at a time, might be worth a go. Anytime i removed all strings (not on a Majesty) on FR or trem equipped guitar i would place a polish cloth in under the bridge, just make sure the bridge doesn't move off the bridge pins....or there will be tears...expensive tears!

milnik

removing two strings at a time wouldn't work so well because i want to give the fretboard a thorough cleaning first. maybe i can put a rubber or something behind the trem block in the cavity but i'm not sure.
anyway just looking for the safest method

beej

I use a rubber doorstop or a squished up polish cloth when working on floating trems. Whatever I have handy at the time.

Fro

I’ve used a stack of 3 or 4 business cards under the trem on my LIII.

milnik

thanks for your solutions
i've used just a bunch of socks rolled together to block off trems on other guitars with different floating bridges. but i'm hesitant to do it with the majesty trem idk why

JamieCrain

thanks for your solutions
i've used just a bunch of socks rolled together to block off trems on other guitars with different floating bridges. but i'm hesitant to do it with the majesty trem idk why

Just remember, removing all the strings at once removes a huge amount of tension from the neck. About 60-70kg depending on tuning and string gauge. That’s why changing two at a time is recommended.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I use a stack of post-its, or index cards, or playing cards.

Just remember, removing all the strings at once removes a huge amount of tension from the neck. About 60-70kg depending on tuning and string gauge. That’s why changing two at a time is recommended.

Not a problem to take all the strings off, a guitar neck can handle that fine. Taylor, Martin, Fender and Music Man all have videos that show just that and some even explicitly say no cause for any concern. Whatever is easiest and most convenient.

milnik

i've seed people jump and stomp the heck out of those neck and they wouldn't break, it's unbelievable and painful to watch. wonder how they get those woods to be so damn strong (that's what she said) :D

Rick C

milnik: if you are going with lighter string gauges it may be necessary to remove one trem spring and maybe even tweak the truss rod. I dropped to 008-038 and it took a while for the guitar to settle down. As noted above, it's very common for people to be concerned about removing all the strings at once; I've been doing this on a bunch of guitars for many years with no issues ever; I like to give the board a really good clean every time I change strings. Business cards work fine for blocking.

milnik

cheers to you rick, thanks

would you take off all the strings and then clean or first remove 2 strings and clean that area and then move on?
i'm switching back down from 10's to 9's tomorrow when i get my string pack.

wheres my pick?

I take all the strings off every time I change them to clean the board never had issues, as mentioned if you change gauges you'll likely have to adjust the springs for tension, in terms of blocking the trem, any type of cloth is my go to, the packaging from your strings folded up also works in a pinch.

Top Bottom