• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

atomicdogma

Hi.

Will a Floyd Rose fit on my Axis Super Sport with no modifications?

I just want to install the Floyd Rose bridge and not the Floyd Rose locking nut, because the Axis Super Sport already has the locking Schaller tuners

Basically, I want to set up my Axis Super Sport like Guthrie Govan's guitar (Floyd Rose bridge, no Floyd Rose locking nut with only Schaller locking tuners, and a dive-only tremolo setup).

Guthrie's guitar stays in perfect tune with this setup, even when he bends like crazy or dives and pulls the Floyd Rose. Check out this video where he explains his setup:

Do you think my Axis Super Sport will stay in tune with this kind of setup?

Last edited:

bischero

I set up all my guitars this way. You will have to have the super sport routed for the pivot screws. Make sure you trust the luthier. In my opinion I would leave the standard term and block it for diving only.

tbonesullivan

A setup like that will need a very well cut and lubricated nut, or else you'll have tuning issues. It also won't be as stable as a true double locking system.

atomicdogma

Thanks for info, @bischero and @tbonesullivan!

This guy on YouTube has his guitar setup the same way (Floyd Rose bridge, no Floyd Rose locking nut with only locking tuners). His guitar stays in PERFECT tune when he goes CRAZY on the Floyd Rose. It's AMAZING!

Check it out the video:

Last edited:

atomicdogma

"You will have to have the super sport routed for the pivot screws."
- Do you mean the tremolo studs on my Axis Super Sport will not fit on an Original Floyd Rose (see attachment)? They look exactly the same as Floyd Rose studs.

"A setup like that will need a very well cut and lubricated nut, or else you'll have tuning issues."
- The Axis Super Sport has a custom compensated nut (see attachment). I wonder if this will ok with the setup I'd like (Floyd Rose bridge, no Floyd Rose locking nut with only Schaller locking tuners)?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 189
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

dibart77

You will have to have the super sport routed for the pivot screws. Make sure you trust the luthier. In my opinion I would leave the standard term and block it for diving only.
- Do you mean the tremolo studs on my Axis Super Sport will not fit on an Original Floyd Rose (see attachment)? They look exactly the same as Floyd Rose studs.

The current (new-style) trem studs are indeed the same for the vintage trem and the current (new-style) EBMM Floyd. However, I don't know if the current (new-style) EBMM trem studs would work with an Original Floyd Rose. NOTE: Even if they are the same studs, you'll need to check that the spacing between the two studs is exactly the same for the vintage trem and the Floyd, or the new trem will bind.

A setup like that will need a very well cut and lubricated nut, or else you'll have tuning issues.
- The Axis Super Sport has a custom compensated nut (see attachment). I wonder if this will ok with the setup I'd like (Floyd Rose bridge, no Floyd Rose locking nut with only Schaller locking tuners)?

I think this is a non-issue. If I can dive-bomb my vintage trem on my ASS without tuning issues, why would the Floyd behave any differently? I don't think you need to worry about this.

tbonesullivan

The player that the TO is referencing really is bend and tremolo maniac, complete with behind the nut bends, bends up to 2 whole steps, etc.

Personally, I think that the strings behind the bridge are much less likely to lead to any tuning instability than the strings behind the nut. I also have not had any problems with tuning instability on my luke III, when using lots of dive bombs, etc.

beej

The missing element is locking saddles. Sounds like there are a few companies working at that.

Really, if you could just retrofit the saddle with a locking one (were there a commercially available solution), you'd be off to the races.

atomicdogma

Thanks for the detailed info, @dibart77! :)

"The player that the TO is referencing really is bend and tremolo maniac, complete with behind the nut bends, bends up to 2 whole steps, etc."
- I agree, @tbonesullivan. Guthrie Govan goes crazy with his bends and tremolo stuff. It's amazing to watch. He looks and plays like some kind of mad genius wizard! Haha! :D

"The missing element is locking saddles. Sounds like there are a few companies working at that."
- Locking saddles is a great idea, @beej! You should patent that idea! Cha-Ching! $$$ :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom