• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

tbonesullivan

I tried to love my 2012 Luke III with .009 strings on it, but it just wasn't meant to be, so I've gone up to .010 strings. Before I put them on, I figured I'd finally take off the trem and really clean all the nickel plated parts, and check on the condition of the edge bearing.

There definitely is a little wear, and the plating is off, but it doesn't seem to be major. I have not have any problems with the tremolo returning to pitch, even with some serious abuse. I did lubricate the pivot points with some Tri-Flow to keep things working smoothly. I bought it used, so I don't know how much whammy action it got from previous owners. Just want to make sure it's in good working order.

I'll try to get some pictures of the edges later, as I unfortunately for got to take some.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
The plating coming off makes it look worse than it is. If tuning stability is still good you have nothing to worry about. My 2005 Silo Special still performs great and I'm pretty sure that trem has had a lot more use than your 2012 LIII!

FWIW, I stopped lubricating my trem edges a couple of years ago. I reasoned that lube is really of benefit for surfaces moving across each other, but the trem motion is rotation about a single pivot point so I don't see the need. My tuning stability has not been affected. I do lube the top of the saddles and nut though.

Last edited:

tbonesullivan

These are the pictures I took. I guess the plating loss does make it look worse, I guess. I oil the pivots because as a trombone player, I've been taught that any joint, no matter how it moves, gets oil. Just a little bit.

Attachments

• tremolosmall06.jpg
    tremolosmall06.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 283
  • tremolosmall05.jpg
    tremolosmall05.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 274
  • tremolosmall04.jpg
    tremolosmall04.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 260
  • tremolosmall03.jpg
    tremolosmall03.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 224
  • tremolosmall01.jpg
    tremolosmall01.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 243

fusionid

Thats nothing.

Out of curiosity do you guys know if ebmm sells replacement plate and studs?

kbaim

These are the pictures I took. I guess the plating loss does make it look worse, I guess. I oil the pivots because as a trombone player, I've been taught that any joint, no matter how it moves, gets oil. Just a little bit.

Hear, hear! I was a t-bone player back in my school days as well!
I usually just put a dab of vaseline or gun lubricating grease on my posts.

Add me to the list as well :)

Nop way! So, is it true that horn players are better kissers because of all that embouchure stuff?

Best way to find out would be to email customer service.

Fixed.

Top Bottom