• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

armybass

Colonial Heights, Virginia, United States
As much as I love the preminant Stingray, Stingrays 5?and Sterling.... the Classic Series EBMM Basses are truly the instruments that have stolen my heart. I love the old Pre EB Rays but I like the Classic Series better. They are built better, with better components and tighter manufacturing standards and are more consistent. Plus.... they are dead sexy and they are truly a players bass. I don’t like to use words like perfect but these Basses are perfect for me.

Once my Classic Stingray 5 arrives (any day now) I’ll have the complete set of Classic Basses offered. But I know the color options have varied and I wish I could find and afford them all,,,, but for now I’ll settle with seeing pictures and the stories of your Classics!

Ready....,, GO!

JayDawg

Here is my 2010 Stingray Classic 4 also known as The Breast Cancer Awareness Bass. Sterling Ball AKA Big Pappa was kind enough to build this bass for me when I first joined the forum and a month later my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. The bass is used to raise awareness and funds for breast cancer prevention.

23711C8C-4084-41A6-B8E0-9443B81DB1C5.jpeg

nurnay

Love mine. I've swapped the pickguard for a mirrored one, it's beautiful.

nU44Qb6.jpg

armybass

Colonial Heights, Virginia, United States
Here is my 2010 Stingray Classic 4 also known as The Breast Cancer Awareness Bass. Sterling Ball AKA Big Pappa was kind enough to build this bass for me when I first joined the forum and a month later my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. The bass is used to raise awareness and funds for breast cancer prevention.

View attachment 33590

What an inspirational story and beautiful bass!

mmbassplayer

Here is my Stingray Classic 4. I always wanted a Classic with a matching headstock and when this gem popped up for sale I had to jump. This has become my number one bass at church for the worship band. Sadly my Bongo has been on quite the break.

2D9B132B-3526-49DD-9607-B6385B5CADB4.jpg
A562D820-0331-4964-87B0-280271D76776.jpg

drTStingray

Coral Red - new early 2010. It's a fabulous bass and has flats fitted :cool:

View attachment 33603

I keep thinking of getting a natural Classic series bass - have an Old Smoothie already though.

IMG_2910.jpg IMG_2911.jpg

And a Classic Sabre (v special one)

IMG_1558.JPG IMG_1564.JPG

Last edited:

liverbird

I have two of the first batch of five StingRays that were shown at Bass Player Live in October 2009 to introduce the Classic series - Surf Green (B050501) and Fiesta Red (B050505). (The others were Shell Pink, Sonic Blue and Trans White.)

I bought the Surf Green bass from a forum member some time ago. Then, last year, I made an effort to track down the Fiesta Red. Turned out that after it was sold on Talkbass in early 2010, it later made its way to Spain where it changed hands again. Now residing with me in sunny London.

My photos aren't great, so here are a couple of the EBMM shots from back then:

UT3aYhI.png

sA8RRxG.png

Also got myself two Classic SR5s last year. Both built in June 2010, within a week of each other.

f708AGZ.jpg

z0sBLr6.jpg

Do the Old Smoothies count as Classics? Love them!

vDRy8iz.jpg

0SatZ9Q.jpg

mmbassplayer

Liverbird... I had a chance to buy the Fiesta Red Ray about a year after BPL and still kick myself for not jumping on it. And if anyone knows the where abouts of the Sonic Blue one with rosewood board and matching headstock I would really like to own it! JOSH

drTStingray

drTStingray... We should have a talk about the future of that Sabre. JOSH

Hi - not got any plans to sell it - sounds and looks absolutely brilliant. I was actually after a Diego blue one but missed out in the UK (the only colour which was sold out and then discontinued) so when EBMM offered the Neptune blue PDN just after I ordered the Sabre - couldn't be happier with it. I'll bear in mind your interest if I change my mind (but v v unlikely!!)

drTStingray

I have two of the first batch of five StingRays that were shown at Bass Player Live in October 2009 to introduce the Classic series - Surf Green (B050501) and Fiesta Red (B050505). (The others were Shell Pink, Sonic Blue and Trans White.)

I bought the Surf Green bass from a forum member some time ago. Then, last year, I made an effort to track down the Fiesta Red. Turned out that after it was sold on Talkbass in early 2010, it later made its way to Spain where it changed hands again. Now residing with me in sunny London.

My photos aren't great, so here are a couple of the EBMM shots from back then:

UT3aYhI.png

sA8RRxG.png

Also got myself two Classic SR5s last year. Both built in June 2010, within a week of each other.

f708AGZ.jpg

z0sBLr6.jpg

Do the Old Smoothies count as Classics? Love them!

vDRy8iz.jpg

0SatZ9Q.jpg

I used my Old Smoothie tonight - such a great sounding bass - I actually heard someone else play it as well - perfect 2 band MM sound!!

Those BPL Stingrays look slightly different shades from the production models. Love the matching headstock.

Rod Trussbroken

cache_5418803.JPG

2010 Classic. Substituted the original black pg with a matte black.

cache_5418801.jpg

2011 Classic "Retroburst" with original white pg.

cache_5118056.jpg

I tried a black pg but prefer the original white.

cache_5118063.jpg

Flamed maple neck.

drTStingray

Those look great Gav. Have you tried a white pg on the black one? I remember seeing Climax Blues Band (they of the hit single Couldn't Get It Right) live in the late 70s and the bass player used a black Stingray but I think with a white pg. They look good (it was also the first time I'd seen a black Stingray).

Talking of pgs it reminds me that the famous Stingray player Bernard Edwards was pictured with his natural Stingray with the band in stage clothes and the natural Stingray with black or white pg dependent on the colour of his suit.....

Last edited:

nurnay

f708AGZ.jpg

z0sBLr6.jpg

Unless I'm missing something, why would you buy two of the same basses (same color, configuration)? I love them, BTW.

liverbird

Unless I'm missing something, why would you buy two of the same basses (same color, configuration)? I love them, BTW.

Fair question.

The shop actually had three of those black Classic SR5s. Initially, when seeing them on the website, I was interested in the lightest of the bunch - 9.3 lbs - purely because of the weight. Playing all three when at the shop, I liked them all. The heaviest was very punchy, the middle one had a lovely growl and the lightest had a more open sound. Couldn't decide, so I bought both the punchy and the light one.

Top Bottom