• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

edhalen

Well, I've come full circle. My very first EBMM guitar was a White Reflex Hard Tail. After selling it (like an idiot) I've seen a total of seven EBMM's go through my hands. Each had its own wow factor and was great. But, I always had a reason to watch them leave. Until now. When I got my Reflex (don't remember the year) the EBMM 25th Anniversary (which became the Reflex for those of you who don't know) was still fresh and was fetching more $$ than I could ever swing. I couldn't believe they made the Reflex in this beautiful RED color - my favorite color!!! I thought....someday...maybe....

Well, someday came last week. I have been without an EBMM for about a month (enjoying my SBMM's) when I saw this beauty at a price that made me do a triple-take. I took delivery yesterday. It is about a 9.3 out of 10 on the "minty scale". It has one small ding on the corner of the head stock. Other than that it is in next-to-mint condition. Gave the neck the wonder wipe treatment and it's spotless. Polished the body even though it barely needed to be touched. Threw on a set of 10-46 M-Steels. I've played it for about two hours since I got it. It is absolutely flawless. It is the perfect guitar in my eyes. I'll be buried with this one. I could go on and on. I've rambled on long enough. Time for pictures.

View attachment 33638 View attachment 33639 View attachment 33640 View attachment 33641 View attachment 33642

Last edited:

spychocyco

So you're the guy that beat me to that one. Grrr. :)

Congratulations. It's a beauty, and that was a great deal, too.

tbonesullivan

Those are GREAT guitars. I think they are Big Poppa's "favorite mistake"

I don't know why they didn't catch on. Maybe too similar to the Axis?

edhalen

Those are GREAT guitars. I think they are Big Poppa's "favorite mistake"

I don't know why they didn't catch on. Maybe too similar to the Axis?

That's correct - I can see why he says that too. I think maybe it didn't take off because it didn't have a marketable artist attached to it. Also, only a few color options were offered. Maybe a few more color choices would have helped. Who knows....all I know is it is my absolute favorite of all of them that I've tried.

Last edited:

edhalen

So you're the guy that beat me to that one. Grrr. :)

Congratulations. It's a beauty, and that was a great deal, too.

Thanks man :). I got lucky - right place right time. Going to take FULL advantage and play the *#*& out of it too. It will NOT be a museum piece :).

beej

Big congrats! I'm a member of the club as well. What an incredible guitar - they got everything right.

I always wonder if the Reflex would have been more popular if it had more of the 25th styling- pretty tops, colours, etc. Besides sounding incredible (more 'zing' and resonance from the chambering), the 25th is drop dead gorgeous.

ErnieJohn

Congratulations, I once had a Reflex ( and sold it, damn fool!) a brilliant guitar and even more epic in the 25th Anniversary model. Don’t let this one get away ;)

spychocyco

I always wonder if the Reflex would have been more popular if it had more of the 25th styling- pretty tops, colours, etc. Besides sounding incredible (more 'zing' and resonance from the chambering), the 25th is drop dead gorgeous.

Couldn't have hurt. I really wanted a 25th when they came out, but I was beyond flat broke at the time. One of the reasons that I never went for the Reflex later on was because the finishes, for the most part, were kind of bland. I like my guitars to look as good as they sound. :)

mikeller

I had a 25th I never truly bonded it with, and swapped it for a fully loaded JP6 Mystic Dream. I regret that trade - congrats!!! Its a beauty!!!

kbaim

NOW IT CAN BE TOLD...

I remember the Guitar Center tour that BP, Morse, and Luke did about 10 years ago.
Caught them in 2 of them.
I remember at one of them when Luke switched to the 25th from his sig model, i thought...holy crap! He sounds even better with that one.
What just happened?

This from a guy (me) who was a dedicated LUKE player for 5 years at that point

edhalen

NOW IT CAN BE TOLD...

I remember the Guitar Center tour that BP, Morse, and Luke did about 10 years ago.
Caught them in 2 of them.
I remember at one of them when Luke switched to the 25th from his sig model, i thought...holy crap! He sounds even better with that one.
What just happened?

This from a guy (me) who was a dedicated LUKE player for 5 years at that point

Very cool!!

Ishmun

Awesome score mate!

I totally agree with you too - the 25th is a killer guitar; I'd be very hard pressed to let it go - amazing tops, and neck figuring (your's is one of the best I've seen!).

Personally, I prefer it to the Axis as its a bit bigger and feels better when playing.

Definitely a shame the Reflex didn't work out - but as most are commenting now, its plain looks compared to the other BFR offerings available at the time might have been a contributing factor? Just guessing. That said, I'd love to get a white one, maple board and black binding one day :)

Enjoy your new Axe - its top of the line :)

JasonT

The LIII is my holy grail, but I have a 25th anniversary that I will never sell. It is an amazing guitar that really sounds great, and a nice change from the LIII. Yours has a cool flame top and a very flamey neck. Great score. Enjoy!!!

edhalen

Awesome score mate!

I totally agree with you too - the 25th is a killer guitar; I'd be very hard pressed to let it go - amazing tops, and neck figuring (your's is one of the best I've seen!).

Personally, I prefer it to the Axis as its a bit bigger and feels better when playing.

Definitely a shame the Reflex didn't work out - but as most are commenting now, its plain looks compared to the other BFR offerings available at the time might have been a contributing factor? Just guessing. That said, I'd love to get a white one, maple board and black binding one day :)

Enjoy your new Axe - its top of the line :)

Thanks - that white Reflex you mention is the EXACT one I had. I didn't realize what I had. Live and learn I guess.

Top Bottom