• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

sledge5

Do you gig your vintage stingray? If so do you feel you can still get the punchy lows, or does the classic carry the low end better at this point?

tbonesullivan

How vintage? Pre Ernie Ball? Depends on the condition, value, etc. Most people I know try to avoid gigging their most prized guitars, but generally have a No.1 player that they bring out.

Rod Trussbroken

Do you gig your vintage stingray? If so do you feel you can still get the punchy lows, or does the classic carry the low end better at this point?

I'm guessing you're talking about Pre-EB and the EB "Classic" series.

I have a 1978-79 Pre-EB and also "Classic" series Basses. The preamps in both are the same electrically (although differently shaped circuit boards). However the Classic series are far superior in quality. The Pre-EB is used at home only.

sledge5

That’s what I was afraid of hearing. I don’t have access to demo any, and I live in the NYC metro area. I have been talking to the Stingray Man on reverb and he has what he says to be an excellent 1979 but he wants near $4,000 for it. What’s a good price for a 77-79 that’s in great shape?

sledge5

77-79. I hate having a bass that I wouldn’t play. I like my 1970 corvette stingray. I drive her when ever I can.

tbonesullivan

I would say you need to look more at the Classic series. I think you also can find regular stingrays with the 2 band EQ. Vintage is great, but at $4000 it should be investment condition.

How many stingrays have you owned before?

sledge5

I have owned a 2band stingray since 1999, and also currently have a blonde old smoothie Ball Family Reserve. And I have had 2 classic 5 string basses in the past. I sold them only because the necks were so glossy. But I have learned that I can knock the gloss down with some 800 grit and steal wool. So I also just ordered a classic stingray this week. Should have it Monday. But I have always wanted a vintage instrument.
I got him down to $3,500 and it’s a well cared for still shinny Inca Silver.

sledge5

Well I pulled the trigger at $3,500. Let’s see how this goes. I have 14 days to ship it back for a full refund if I’m not happy with it.

sledge5

No way that would happen. I only do the scuffing to my newer stuff.

Wednesday can’t come soon enough.

OldManMusic

I own a ‘78 Ray and I’m the original owner. I still gig with it a few times a year. I can’t compare it to the newer classic series, but it has a sharper, more aggressive tone than my standard EB ray. A very gig worthy tone for my style of playing. I’ll switch from my 78 ray 4 to my Bongo 5 at shows where I flip between 4 and 5 stringers without changing the tone settings on my rig. It’s in the same tonal family, to me anyway. Enjoy your new bass and post up some pics when it comes in.

Top Bottom