• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

silverman

I have a late '17/'18 black cutlass with a maple neck. One of the things that I have noticed is that the neck is MUCH more glossy when compared to other cutlass examples that I have seen and played.

Has anyone else played a newer cutlass and noticed a change in the neck finish from other models or is mine an oddity?

IMG_0992.jpg
IMG_0990.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0989.jpg
    IMG_0989.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

silverman

I briefly considered it, but the thought of taking rough wool to this beautiful instrument is more than I can bear. I'm just curious if it is a deliberate change or not.

Fro

The bigge4 question is how comfortable/easy to play is it? Great I bet.

John C

Satin poly can rub into a glossier finish over time - I've seen other brands to that, but not EBMM. Also I haven't seen any late 2017s in person (the local GC still has a couple of late 2016/early 2017s hanging on the wall and they are both very satiny).

That being said the 2018 models with the roasted maple necks are listed as having the oil/wax finish on the necks.

silverman

The additional gloss certainly isn't from play rub. It looked like that straight out of the box.

It plays wonderfully over all, and the tint does look good with the black paint, but if I had my druthers , I certainly would prefer a "waxier" example. Anyways, it's something I can tolerate.

silverman

Sure! I'm always happy to show off my baby.

Not much a camera man (plus not much light, being a snowy APRIL day in Chicago) and the upload manager keeps on rejecting some of the pics, but here is a full body shot I managed to get on here.

Attachments

• IMG_1001.jpg
    IMG_1001.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0996.jpg
    IMG_0996.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 138
Top Bottom