• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

victorfrankl

ON the afternoon Gene Sarazen died, Tiger Woods shot 61 in the GTE Byron Nelson Classic. To anybody who remembered a conversation at the 1996 Masters, it was as much a connection as a coincidence.

golf_rangefinder_1.jpg

At the moment, Eldrick (Tiger) Woods was a two-time United States Amateur winner, a 20-year-old golfing phenom who'd win another Amateur name that summer as well as the Masters a year afterwards. And after hitting a tee shot the 1996 Masters, Sarazen, then 94 and sporting his and fours, was answering inquiries about the Augusta National clubhouse porch.

"Contemplating Tiger's era," a person asked, "how can you rate him?"

"Well," Sarazen said, "once I was 20, I won the U.S. Open and the P.G.A."

Sarazen was not bragging; he was only reminding his listeners that golf has experienced additional phenoms and he had been among them. It's called perspective. And as somebody who spanned the 20th century prior to perishing Thursday in 97 of complications of pneumonia, his perspective on golf was exceptional.

best golf rangefinder watch 2018- how to choise

He'll always be remembered for his double-eagle 2 with a 4-wood at the par-5 15th hole which put the Masters on the golf map in 1935.

"One time in Hong Kong, someone introduced me as 'Mr. Dual Eagle,' " he once said with a laugh. " They must have thought I was an Indian."

Nevertheless, the feisty little man born Eugenio Saraceni in Harrison, N.Y., the son of an immigrant Italian magician, hit several other significant shots in winning seven major titles -- the 1922, 1923 and 1933 Professional Golfers' Association Championships, the 1922 and 1932 United States Opens, the 1932 British Open and 1935 Masters.

He was the first to win all four big titles; Ben Hogan, Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player are the sole others.

"However, the best shot I ever struck," Sarazen formerly mentioned, "was at the 1931 Ryder Cup in Scioto. On this brief gap, I hooked my tee shot over the green into a refreshment stand. I found my ball at the center of the stand at a crevice at the cement. No free falls back then, but a window toward the green was open. I played the ball through the window onto the green about eight feet from the hole."

Click here golf range finders reviews 2018

Sarazen left his putt for a diploma. When his competitor, Fred Robson, three-putted, Sarazen won the hole.

"Robson said, 'That was a pleasant toss,' " Sarazen recalled. " I said: 'There was no throw. I played with the shot from there.' He lost another five holes"

Sarazen said golf was more cutthroat back in the 20's and 30's.

"We did not tell anyone anything," he recalled. " If the green was fast, we hoped they would not find out before it had cost them some strokes. And the only thing we expected about the other fellow was he'd break both legs. This kind of spirit made golf."

His creativity made the sand wedge, making golf a little simpler for everybody.

"I went with Howard Hughes in his plane and he told me, 'Gene, pull back on this pole,' " Sarazen once stated " Plus it flashed into my mind that some weight on the rear of a niblick could make a club and a ball bounce out of the sand the identical manner that plane bounced into the atmosphere."

More than anybody else, Sarazen can assess the century's finest golfers since he saw and played with all of them.

"I played Harry Vardon," he said, referring to this six-time British Open winner of a century ago. " It had been at the 1923 North British at Royal Lytham and St. Annes. On the first hole, a par 3, the end was coming out of the left. Vardon floated a baffy in there about 10 feet by the cup.

"I hit a 1-iron, a low, boring ball that stayed left despite the end and wound up in a bunker. Walking off the tee I remember saying, 'I can not understand how the end didn't take that ball,' and that I heard Vardon say, 'How you hit it the end had nothing more to do with it' I took that as good advice."

Golf completes scoop.it

Last edited:

GWDavis28

Hello!
Can anybody suggest a drop-in replacement nut for my Sterling AX40 guitar? It is a Floyd Rose-style locking nut. I'd prefer a high-quality brand like Schaller, Floyd Rose, or Gotoh. But any good quality brand that will drop right in my guitar with no modifications would be great, too. Can you please provide links, if possible? Thanks in advance for all your help! Note: Sterling customer service is excellent. But I emailed them 2 weeks ago and they haven't replied yet, so I'm hoping someone here could help me.

Post something on Facebook they seem to be pretty quick over there.

Good luck, Glenn |B)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SBMM

Funny I’ve been hearing issues about no replies from SBMM service lately with people messaging me on Facebook and other online forums...
You need to get a 42mm “ R2” nut. There used to be a ton of them in my parts stash while I was at SBMM, so they may still have them.
I hope this helps.

Top Bottom