Fret Marker Size

• Original Smaller Fret Marker

Votes: 25 89.3%
  • Newer Larger Fret Marker

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GWDavis28

Something that drew me to EBMM guitars was the smaller inlay dots. I've always disliked the standard fret marker size to me they are huge, take a target drawing me away from the instrument and causing me to focus on that. I'm sure it's just me, but I'm wondering what other think?

Most of the newer instruments, starting with the Alert Lee HH I do believe has the standard (aka larger dot) fret markers. I notice that the Stingray and Cutlass do as well. Is this a shift for EBMM I wonder?

Thanx, Glenn |B)

Astrofreq

My Starry Night Cutlass has NO fret dots on the ebony fretboard, which I absolutely love. It just looks so sleek.

fogman

I totally agree with you Glenn. I much prefer the small dots.
They are(were) just another part of the EBMM identity and yes, I do find the larger ones distracting.
I can appreciate that there are probably a lot of people who may have complained and prefer the larger dots, and that maybe the new retro modern guitars might call for them, but I'd love to see a Cutlass HSS with small dots. :)

spychocyco

As long as the dots on the side of the neck are there, I'm good. I've got guitars with small dots, large dots, no dots, blocks, shark fins, shields, so I clearly don't have a strong preference. :) In general, I think I like the smaller ones, though, unless they're some sort of pearloid or abalone, in which case I want them bigger.

GWDavis28

Yah but that was a special run, so that's understandable. The Armanda have the shell inlay, but I'm just talking about the standard inlay.

Glenn |B)

GWDavis28

I totally agree with you Glenn. I much prefer the small dots.
They are(were) just another part of the EBMM identity and yes, I do find the larger ones distracting.
I can appreciate that there are probably a lot of people who may have complained and prefer the larger dots, and that maybe the new retro modern guitars might call for them, but I'd love to see a Cutlass HSS with small dots. :)

Totally agree with you less, or even an AL HH.

Glenn |B)

Eilif

Small dots for me, yes!

Or birds.

Dang, did I say that out loud? I'm going to get kicked off here, aren't I?

edhalen

The larger dots don't bother me at all. I now have two EBMM's and one has the smaller dots and one the larger. I didn't even notice until I saw this poll and turned around and looked at my guitars :).

kimonostereo

While I don't mind the larger dots, I fell in love with the smaller dots. EBMM did a lot of innovative things when they built their first guitars and that was one of the distinguishing features that was eye catching. Especially since just about every single maple neck in those early years was highly figured. The smaller dots let the wood show. I'm glad that the original lineup of Al SSS, Axis, Luke and Silhouette still have them.

TripHazard

I'm a larger dots man myself - i like the presence they have on the fretboard. I don't necessarily need them at all - i was surprised to find i had no problem playing a starry night i tried that had none - i just like them

banjoplayer

Same here. Once I noticed the small dots - that was long before I bought my first EBMM - I really loved them. First time I realized that there are models with bigger dots was when my reflex arrived. I totally prefer the small ones.

Dead-Eye

The large dots wouldn't put me off buying a guitar, but given the choice I'd go for the small ones, or something else entirely.

Wahoonc

I prefer small, or side dots and none on the fretboard. Or small and side dots.

Etudica

I think the classiest configuration is a single, ornate design at the 12th fret. There are quite a few brands that have some sort of variation of this and I think they all look great. Basically, a design like the NOMAC Majesty board. Pure class.

My 2nd option would be the starry night unmarked board. Also classy. Unfortunately the sparkle and color were not for me this time around. I'd love to see the unmarked ebony come back in a glossy, non-sparkle finish.

A distant 3rd place would be a full scale ornate design (just please no flowers or vines :))

Basically, I hate dots.

Top Bottom