• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

gkella

Hi
This is my first thread on the forum.
I currently own a Fender Professional Series Jazz Bass.
It was the first half decent bass I have owned...purchased early in 2017.
I really wanted a Bongo 4.
I had the chance to play one in a Toronto area music store and fell in love with it.
I should have bought it right tehn and there because it went quickly.
I started to look on line and fell in love with the stealth black one.
A few months later, I found a Stealth Black Stingray 4H.
Previously enjoyed, in mint condition.
I fell in love with it and purchased it immediately after losing out on the Bongo.
The SR is never out of my hands. The Fender J gets no love.
Now I am thinking I should trade in or sell the Fender and buy a Bongo.
Looking for advice and opinions.

Thanks Glen
i

five7

Makes perfect sense to me, what are you waiting for.

bovinehost

Administrator
I like Jazz basses.

That said, my band (initially) hated the Bongo look. Kind of a bizarre rockabilly ensemble, so I saw their point but didn't really care very much. I just put on a cowboy hat and played my Bongos.

Some years ago, in an effort to make them happy, I dragged my old 62 RI J out of the closet and decided to use it for rehearsal. They were so happy. "Yeah, now THAT is awesome" and so on. I played it for about an hour, we took a break and I was tired of playing the J so I grabbed my Bongo 5H for the rest of the night.

My partner in crime cringed, but we played one song and he said, "Well, that's what was wrong. That stupid Bongo is really our sound, isn't it?"

Yes. Yes, it is.

FTR, the J bass is gone now.

Here endeth your parable.

(Also, get the Bongo.)

gkella

Thank you for the response....there just doesn't seem to be an argument against it...

Golem

`

Acoarst you should switch ... no one here will
tell you otherwise. But do study up on Bongos
cuz they are harder to find and some are very
special and cost extra. Thus it's good to know
what that extra $ actually buys, so you won't
be regretting buying a basic Bongo when you
later discover those special ones. Not that the
basic version is second rate. Some players do
lust after something different while others are
personally not moved by it. IT'S ALL GOOD !

Example, I would looooove to find Bongo HS4
fretless, with piezos. Far more likely I'll be hit
by cave lightning, but I can dream. While I'm
dreaming, I can insist on a roasted neck with
an ebony FB plus a mahogany body. And hey,
since I'm dreaming, I'll acquire it as an even
swap for my fancy-pants J-Bass. Rotsa Ruck
to us both :)

Last edited:

epitaph04

Thank you for the response....there just doesn't seem to be an argument against it...

The Bongo is punchier and more focused sounding than a typical jazz. More hifi/clean sounding with an excellent and flexible 4 band EQ. One of the best. I have both a jazz and a bongo and enjoy both. Bongo is a very unique instrument...cant really go wrong with it.

Edmang

`

Example, I would looooove to find Bongo HS4
fretless, with piezos. Far more likely I'll be hit
by cave lightning, but I can dream. While I'm
dreaming, I can insist on a roasted neck with
an ebony FB plus a mahogany body. And hey,
since I'm dreaming, I'll acquire it as an even
swap for my fancy-pants J-Bass. Rotsa Ruck
to us both :)

Appears we have a similar dream! Have been looking for A Bongo HSp fretless for a while as well. A 5 HSp fretless did appear once, but unfortunately did not have the funds at the time. Have never seen a 4 available.

djaxup

I love Jazz basses, but good ones are few and hard to come by. There are so many "meh" JBs.
I've never ever played a Bongo that wasn't at least really good, most were spectacular.

So yeah, Bongo. It also gets lots of comments, non-musicians generally love it because it looks so different. Some traditionalist guitar players may look at it funkily...

Mu5icM@n

I love Jazz basses. I also love my Stingray 4 (bought new in 1994) and my Bongo 4 HS. All three are very different instruments. I would never tell you to trade a Stingray for a Bongo, I would tell you to buy the Bongo and keep the Stingray because one is not better than the other, they are very different, unique, and awesome sounds.

Tom

Karl

I would trade it in straight way if I was you. I have a Jazz Bass and it never gets played because it sounds too thin. A Bongo is far louder and more versatile and you will not regret your decision.

brash47

For ease of finding a bass you want, put the jazz up for sale on a popular used instrument site or even a couple of them.

I would say this is a good time to look at a Bongo 5 in any configuration. Even if you dont think you'll use that low b, you will discover a whole new realm of running the fret board and ease of movement.

Bongo 5's are probably the easiest to find new. If you go to Guitar Center, musicians friend online, or another of their chain...the fire mist purple with roasted maple neck (the one I own) is a best of all worlds bass. It is a line MM made for their stores and there are plenty of them out there. It's got all the stealth parts, killer body color, roasted neck and ebony fretboard!

Wait for a sale weekend, call a store and get the real price. Its listed at 2699. I got mine for 2100 OTD....and that's for a new one.

I'm not saying this is the best route, but it is one of the fastest to your bass. The 5's seem very abundant new and used....

brash

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Grugenhagen

Bongo 5's are probably the easiest to find new. If you go to Guitar Center, musicians friend online, or another of their chain...the fire mist purple with roasted maple neck (the one I own) is a best of all worlds bass. It is a line MM made for their stores and there are plenty of them out there. It's got all the stealth parts, killer body color, roasted neck and ebony fretboard!

Minor correction. The official color of the Guitar Center exclusive Bongos with the roasted neck and the stealth parts is Barolo and not Firemist Purple.

brash47

Man.....I got lied to! Lol. Thanks for the correction. Something seemed off when I typed that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom