• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Junta

I fell in love with a Caprice... finally bought it last Friday. Brought it home, put a nice strap on it... And without even plugging it, I took it back. Before doing that, I actually tried two other straps.

Neck dive with all of them! This is the first time I am experiencing neck dive with a bass. It would have driven me totally crazy - to have to either press on the body with right elbow, or having to ‘carry it’ with left hand from the neck.

And I bought this guitar despite faulty wiring from factory which the store repaired (there was no option to turn volume down - like I said, faulty wiring).

So now, I know how to shop for a bass: put a strap on it! And then plug it in...

Caprice is not an option, so I am now looking at the cutlass. The store does not carry it, so it would have to be a custom order. Returning will not be an option without serious $$$ penalty (only with custom orders).

I would appreciate if you could let me know about your experience with cutlass - Does it neck dive?

The neck is wider than caprice, maybe it is a problem with the cutlass too?

Cheers!

kinopah

NOPE.
A lot of Caprice owners have complained about it - or more accurately, a lot have noted that it's THE ONE THING they didn't love about the Caprice. I've had several Cutlasses and they have all balanced pretty much perfectly for me. Here's where mine settles and it definitely stays put. I use the GruvGear SoloStrap. For reference, my Fodera Monarch balances exactly the same. I think the wider body on the Cutlass balances the oversized headstock just right.

41655201871_b63eef7b4c_c.jpg

JayDawg

I definitely would not order one until you have played it and know you will like it. Try one at a Guitar Center first. Or order through them since they offer a 45 day money back guarantee. You may also be able to use a 15% discount that they send out every month and save some money from the new price increases.

Junta

NOPE.
A lot of Caprice owners have complained about it - or more accurately, a lot have noted that it's THE ONE THING they didn't love about the Caprice. I've had several Cutlasses and they have all balanced pretty much perfectly for me.

Thanks so much Kinopah that helps. Here is my brief 'affair' with the caprice... Next to my Dingwall:

caprice small.jpg

I really wish the caprice had worked! Cutlass? I like it too.

Cheers!

Junta

I definitely would not order one until you have played it and know you will like it. Try one at a Guitar Center first.

Thanks JayDawg - I live in Canada... Crossborder guitar shopping? I have never tried it. Pedals, yes. I will still look into it.

Cheers!

GregP

I had the same issue with my Caprice. However, after having Hipshot Ultralite bass tuners installed...the bass became perfectly balanced. :)

The Caprice is the best bass I've ever played...so I was absolutely thrilled this fix worked for me. :)

Last edited:

Junta

The dilemma has been resolved, I am afraid, in favor of a Fender Geddy Lee USA!

Here she is with the Dingwall NG2 :

NG2 and GEddy Lee USA.jpg

I could not resist owning a Fender Jazz once again. Good-bye the idea of owning a Music Man bass! :eek:

Good bye Cutlass! :eek: Not really! I have a Cutlass SSS ;)

Time to turn on the Ampeg PF-20T! And maybe click on the Darkglass A/O?

Nah, that's what the NG2 is for...

But hey, always in the Music Man family!

GregP

Nice score! You know, I played a Dingwall for the first time the other day. I picked it up thinking "man these fanned frets are going to be weird to play". Honestly, it felt much more natural than "normal frets". It just fits the natural angle of my hand better. As far as the varied scale length giving a tonal advantage...honestly I couldn't percieve one. Although, I was playing a 4 string and I'd assume the effect would be more pronounced on a 5.

As far as the Caprice goes... I think they should be upgraded with lightweight tuners. When you look at it's closest competitor (The G&L SB-2) it has lightweight tuners...so i think it's definitely warranted at this price point. Now there is no sense in driving up the price needlessly. But when myself and others have contemplated returning the instrument for this very reason I think it's a reasonable upgrade.

GregP

This is how my Caprice balances after installing Hipshot Ultralite tuners. One of the reasons I love this instrument so much is it fits my hands perfectly! And as I don't have very large hands that is much appreciated ;-). For anyone who is experiencing neck dive I highly recommend light weight tuners.

When you have small hands but love bass...#TheStruggleIsReal :phttps://flic.kr/p/26x3sEb
41701767662_80055cc7fb_h.jpg

Last edited:

Mariodrako

hipshot ultra lite instalation

This is how my Caprice balances after installing Hipshot Ultralite tuners. One of the reasons I love this instrument so much is it fits my hands perfectly! And as I don't have very large hands that is much appreciated ;-). For anyone who is experiencing neck dive I highly recommend light weight tuners.

When you have small hands but love bass...#TheStruggleIsReal :phttps://flic.kr/p/26x3sEb
41701767662_80055cc7fb_h.jpg

Hi, the installation of the hipshot tuners need some kind of modification? 1/2" Mini Clover Key Dimensions is the model needed? cheers

Top Bottom