• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

TonyEVH5150

Finally got around to uploading some shots of my Valentine. Love this guitar. It’s more comfortable than I thought it would be. I’m normally a die hard body contour fan, but the wedge shape works very well.

I didn’t get along with the stock pickups. The neck HB was ok, but the bridge pickup really didn’t fit my style. I wanted to go with a versatile setup that would still give me Tele style tones, but I wanted hum free operation and the ability to handle higher gain. I stumbled on the Railhammer Humcutters, which are hum cancelling P90’s in a humbucker shell. They remind me a bit of wide range humbuckers on a Tele Deluxe. They are Nuevo 90’s.

They can handle just about any style of play, from country to hard rock (maybe a bit of metal?). I can still get Tele spank, P90 growl, and raw throaty humbucker tones. I left the push pull boost, as I felt it was still useable.

CSf3rzi.jpg

ZDDF3Rk.jpg

Last edited:

TonyEVH5150

Railhammer Humcutters FTW! (I'm a big fan of those pups.... and all things Joe Naylor...)

Congrats!

The tech that installed them for me said he wants those pickups. He mentioned that he played it after he finished wiring, and was so jealous. They really are good.

xjbebop

Yup... I've got railhammers in a few different gittars, including these first version RH90's in one of my AL's...

zsr7EzK.jpg

They definitely have quality, pro sound to them...

TripHazard

That looks grand - then pickups have been on my list for a while. Just need the right guitar to put them in. Maybe if I ever fancy a change on the AL HH, although Duncan Pearly Gates make a strong case

TonyEVH5150

That looks grand - then pickups have been on my list for a while. Just need the right guitar to put them in. Maybe if I ever fancy a change on the AL HH, although Duncan Pearly Gates make a strong case

Those would be tempting. I've not tried a set of Pearly Gates before.

Pete offers a set of DiMarzio 36th anniversary pickups as an upgrade to the AL HH. I almost went for it, but my budget wasn't quite there.

Top Bottom