• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

brash47

So in the SUB bass thread, I had been talking about getting a SBMM Ray35QM. I loved the color (neptune blue) and it played great.

I went back to GC to put a down payment on it....damnit if this wasn't sitting on the wall next to it for $1000. Looks to me it's been there for a while, but it played great. Still brand new....demo.

It was $150 more than the SBMM. They are having their big sale through May 9 right now....so I couldn't say no and put the money on this instead lol.

Btw, they had a 40th anniversary 5hh, beautiful blue 5hh and a stealth black 4hh selling for $1599. A little more than I wanted to spend.

The original price was $1600.

Hell, I would have had to pay$150 for a case for the Ray35...
f06db2201bac59705b1217b4426c31fc.jpg
f85810888c71c3fd8143ddf34d5d8d49.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

five7

Does it have a gloss neck, looks like it in the pic.

brash47

Does it have a gloss neck, looks like it in the pic.

So if you look at the closeup of the front of the neck, especially at the headstock, you can see it looks slightly shiny, but there is no finish on the neck or headstock. It is very smooth, but natural wood feel. It looks like there was an oil rubbed in or non gloss stain...but it feels all natural with no gloss. The fingerboard, headstock and back of neck are all the same.

What I'm not sure of is why the color of the neck is dark like that. Most maple I see has a lighter shade to it....anyone have an idea?

brash

brash47

So if you look at the closeup of the front of the neck, especially at the headstock, you can see it looks slightly shiny, but there is no finish on the neck or headstock. It is very smooth, but natural wood feel. It looks like there was an oil rubbed in or non gloss stain...but it feels all natural with no gloss. The fingerboard, headstock and back of neck are all the same.

What I'm not sure of is why the color of the neck is dark like that. Most maple I see has a lighter shade to it....anyone have an idea?

brash

So, on a whim, I decided to call Ernie Ball customer service and find out about this bass since I couldn't figure out the neck info. I gave them the serial number and here is the info:

Bass made in June 2016. It was a special run for Guitar Center.
Mint Green (he said custom color for this run), white pick guard (obviously lol) and the neck...
Maple with a "Tinted Satin" finish made to look aged. He said Guitar Center asked specifically for that finish so the bass would look more "vintage." So, there it is, I got's me 2 Guitar Center special run basses now.

Bongo 5HH, Firemist Purple, Roasted Maple neck/headstock with Ebony Fingerboard
Stingray 4H, Mint Green, Tinted Satin Maple neck.

I think I'm done with gear for awhile!....I hope.....

brash

five7

Two beauties! Post a picture of your bongo if you get a chance.

five7

Such a beautiful instrument! I played one at GC. The neck was amazing. Thanks for posting pictures.

djaxup

woooaaaa the purple Bongo is awesome!

And I somehow just love Instruments in urinal cake color, I have a Rick in a color called blue boy. That Ray looks super cool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom