• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

apples

I checked for authenticity based on these videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8J1npDGqYg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUXYRIbSjT0

Everything matches except a few things that are not discussed in the video.

Package on the left does have spacing between the bar code and the package's middle edge, according to the video it should not have spacing. Also the letter "O" in ".COM" from www.battleofthebands.com is failed looking like a reversed "C" instead of a perfect "O", the package on the right displays a perfect "O".

Package on the right has a lot of metallic plastic visible in the package's middle edge, everything else matches.

What bugged me the most was the printing inconsistency in the "O".

Here is the picture: https://i.imgur.com/m6qAMlD.jpg

spychocyco

Interesting. It could be just a difference in production runs. I've got some new ones on the way now from a source I'm pretty sure about. I'll take a look when I get them and compare.

It never occurred to me that someone would counterfeit something as simple as strings. I see guitars which are worth thousands, but strings are only like $5 a pack. I guess if they sell enough of them ... Learn something every day.

spychocyco

Mine came in today, and packaging has changed completely. I ordered six sets of Super Slinky and a couple of sets of Hybrids. Five of the Super sets were like the above. None had the foil strip or the broken O in the Battle of the Bands logo. The sixth set had a more metallic color, smaller and differently placed upc and no logos. Both sets of Hybrids were the newer more metallic packaging. Not sure that helps answer the question.

Twang Banger

How do we know the dude on the Youtube video is correct or has any idea what he is talking about? Just because packaging differs, does that necessarily mean they are fake. I don't know, ... but I question whether the video maker really knows. If he's wrong, he is stating as a fact they are fake ... he should state this as speculation and opinion.

Last edited:

spychocyco

strings.jpg

Just to show the variances in packaging, all three of these are definitely legit. Packaging changes from time to time, and the machines that print and put together the packaging can cause slight variances. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless when you open them, you find that they're definitely of a lower quality. There may not be a wide variance between reputable string manufacturers, but you can tell cheap Chinese rustbucket strings from Slinkys pretty easily. If you have questions about the legitimacy of where you're buying them from, just get them somewhere else. In the online age, it's pretty easy to shop with a legit dealer even if you don't have one where you live.

Top Bottom