• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

dtpancio

I just realize, after almost 2 years with my lefty JP7 BFR Koa (built in 2016) that if I push/pull the tone control with the pickup selector in neck position the sound changes..like if it splits the neck pickup if I pull it.

This obviously works in central position also, but not in bridge position.

Bad wiring? Special feature? New wiring?

Thanks

tbonesullivan

I would think that a coil split switch would work regardless of the position the selector is in, though the control diagram doesn't show the tone control doing anything when using anything but position 2.

Is everything definitely hum free when the coil split isn't engaged?

PeteDuBaldo

The wiring of the BFR/JP toggle switch should provide the following, and the push/pull switch should only change what happens in the middle position. Please note that the earliest BFR JPs had the push/pull in the opposite configuration

Down position
1 - Bridge all coils
2 - Both humbuckers all coils
3 - Neck all coils

Up position
1 - Bridge all coils
2 - inside coil from each humbucker
3 - Neck all coils

You can test the coils by plugging in and switching to the neck pickup, then gently tapping the pole pieces with something magnetic (like a screwdriver). You should hear a notable THUNK when contact is made (you can put some masking tape on the pickup to avoid scratching it). If you don't hear a thunk then the coil is most likely not on.

dtpancio

The wiring of the BFR/JP toggle switch should provide the following, and the push/pull switch should only change what happens in the middle position. Please note that the earliest BFR JPs had the push/pull in the opposite configuration

Down position
1 - Bridge all coils
2 - Both humbuckers all coils
3 - Neck all coils

Up position
1 - Bridge all coils
2 - inside coil from each humbucker
3 - Neck all coils

You can test the coils by plugging in and switching to the neck pickup, then gently tapping the pole pieces with something magnetic (like a screwdriver). You should hear a notable THUNK when contact is made (you can put some masking tape on the pickup to avoid scratching it). If you don't hear a thunk then the coil is most likely not on.

I did what you said and it definitely activates the inner coil alone.

Do you think it's a bad wiring or a voluntary act? Maybe from the seller? I bought this guitar from Willcutt Guitars.

Top Bottom