• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Cem

Hello everyone,

I've just joined the ebmm world with a 2017 JP15. I am very happy with the guitar, but I'd like to alter the wiring on it a little bit. I've two ideas in mind, let's call them 1 and 2. I'm not sure if 2 is possible with the components come with the guitar. If it is, I'd love to get some input on how. Because this 3-Way PCB Board switch is making everything so hard to figure out.

So the original wiring on the guitar is: (P/P as in Push/Push)
1-Bridge HB , 2- Bridge&Neck(P/P Down), Inside Coils(P/P Up), 3- Neck HB.

I want to change to either:
Wiring 1:
1- Bridge HB
2- Outside Coils(P/P Down), Inside Coils(P/P Up)
3- Neck HB

Wiring 2:
1- Bridge HB
2- Outside Coils(P/P Down), Inside Coils(P/P Up)
3- Neck HB(P/P Down), Neck Split (P/P Up)

If wiring 2 is possible to achieve, I'd like to go with that one. If not, I'd be quite happy with wiring 1 as well. I just don't find the both humbucking sound to be useful for my taste.

31886518_10156592403921742_4629066277900517376_n.jpg 31900929_10156592404021742_5986596588514967552_n.jpg
Thanks in advance,
Cem

tbonesullivan

I would say email CS to see if that kind of wiring is even possible with the current hardware in the guitar. There are different ways a coil split can be implemented, and the PCBs are most likely designed so that they really only work as designed. You'd need to patch around the board traces to get different behavior.

Cem

I would say email CS to see if that kind of wiring is even possible with the current hardware in the guitar. There are different ways a coil split can be implemented, and the PCBs are most likely designed so that they really only work as designed. You'd need to patch around the board traces to get different behavior.

First thing I did was to call them. The answer I got was "We have no idea, we only know how to wire the original." I was pretty disappointed to be honest.

beej

First thing I did was to call them. The answer I got was "We have no idea, we only know how to wire the original." I was pretty disappointed to be honest.

What you're asking for isn't straight forward, so I'm not surprised that you haven't received an answer (either here or on the TGP thread).

I'm sorry you're disappointed in MM for not knowing how to help you with your custom wiring. But I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to do this. They're not a custom shop, so when you want to do something outside the regular scope of what they offer, you have to go elsewhere.

I think your best best is to ask someone like Dimarzio (as Pete suggested), or whatever vendor of pickups you choose to put in there.

Last edited:

PeteDuBaldo

You mean put in a EP1111 switch to replace the PCB 3 way guitar has and go with those wirings?

The EP1111 style switch is what EBMM uses, but they add a PCB so the assemblers can wire it up easier.

It may not be possible to achieve the wiring you are after (with a 3-way toggle & push/pull) based off how humbuckers are typically wired for a split, but DiMarzio would be the people to ask - Steve @ DiMarzio designed the original switching combination (bridge, inside coils, neck) for JP many years ago, and JP is still using their pickups & toggle. If anyone knows, it would be them.

For what it's worth, I'd be interested in knowing what they come up with.

Top Bottom