• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

moozak

i have to say that i'm not really sure what to expect :confused:... i don't know much about MM guitars but the Luke Tumescent model has been eating me alive... i love the way it looks and the sounds in the videos I've seen, plus the features (body/neck wood, finish, ebony fingerboard, frets, neck binding, on board boost).

so... I've got one incoming... should be here next week. again, i simply don't know what to expect... some say the body is too small (even though this model seems to have a bit larger body than before), some say the neck is too small, i simply don't know what to expect. i'm excited but, at the same time, it's hard to get too excited because of not knowing what to expect.

but anyway folks... It's on the way. i'll say one thing... whether it works out for me or not, it's one of the more visually stunning guitars I've seen in a long time. it really is beautiful... so i'm looking forward to seeing it up close for that. hopefully, it meets my expectations in other areas as well.

we'll see!

MM Luke

i have to say that i'm not really sure what to expect :confused:... i don't know much about MM guitars but the Luke Tumescent model has been eating me alive... i love the way it looks and the sounds in the videos I've seen, plus the features (body/neck wood, finish, ebony fingerboard, frets, neck binding, on board boost).

so... I've got one incoming... should be here next week. again, i simply don't know what to expect... some say the body is too small (even though this model seems to have a bit larger body than before), some say the neck is too small, i simply don't know what to expect. i'm excited but, at the same time, it's hard to get too excited because of not knowing what to expect.

but anyway folks... It's on the way. i'll say one thing... whether it works out for me or not, it's one of the more visually stunning guitars I've seen in a long time. it really is beautiful... so i'm looking forward to seeing it up close for that. hopefully, it meets my expectations in other areas as well.

we'll see!
Congrats! Love mine!!!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Fro

I really want a Tumescent in HSS. I may have to sell my PDN Morse and find one.

Davus PG

The one I have incoming is HSS. I like that combination... I also have a Tyler Studio Elite with HSS

I picked one up just over a week ago and although I'm a bit of a lurker on here I've been meaning to do a NGD post, but need to take some decent pix first.

Like you since I first saw the the Tumescent the urge to get one just didn't go away. I've had an HH L3 for about 10 months, but the ebony board and pure white binding were something i really wanted, plus being all mahogany it would tick another tonal box.

So a number of things conveniently lined up at once and I find myself with the opportunity to get an HH Tumescent, which is the finest guitar I've ever laid my hands on.

I was concerned the painted neck wouldn't have the silkiness of the unfinished EB necks but it's so smooth you couldn't tell the difference with your eyes shut. It's also considerably lighter than the alder L3.

I've only rehearsed with it once so have yet to dial it in, but as yet the tone of my alder L3 is still the best, however to be fair, I've been playing that guitar and gradually tweaking my amp settings to get it just right for almost a year. It did cross my mind that as the Transition pickups were designed for the original L3 it makes sense that they sound so right in that guitar, but the Tumescent still sounds killer. I used it for Sweet Child O Mine and the neck pickup nails the Les Paul tone.

In summary you will not be disappointed, a truly wonderful guitar, and for me a perfect fit. I'm 6 foot and it doesn't feel too small, it just feels right. I know the Luke profile isn't for everyone, but for me it's the most comfortable neck I've ever played. I'd say give yourself a few weeks to get used to it as initially it felt cramped to me, but now i can switch between guitars with no problems.

When I took it out the case at rehearsal last week the whole band were drooling over it... even the drummer!

Congratulations, I'm sure you'll love it.

Last edited:

moozak

I picked one up just over a week ago and although I'm a bit of a lurker on here I've been meaning to do a NGD post, but need to take some decent pix first.

Like you since I first saw the the Tumescent the urge to get one just didn't go away. I've had an HH L3 for about 10 months, but the ebony board and pure white binding were something i really wanted, plus being all mahogany it would tick another tonal box.

So a number of things conveniently lined up at once and I find myself with the opportunity to get an HH Tumescent, which is the finest guitar I've ever laid my hands on.

I was concerned the painted neck wouldn't have the silkiness of the unfinished EB necks but it's so smooth you couldn't tell the difference with your eyes shut. It's also considerably lighter than the alder L3.

I've only rehearsed with it once so have yet to dial it in, but as yet the tone of my alder L3 is still the best, however to be fair, I've been playing that guitar and gradually tweaking my amp settings to get it just right for almost a year. It did cross my mind that as the Transition pickups were designed for the original L3 it makes sense that they sound so right in that guitar, but the Tumescent still sounds killer. I used it for Sweet Child O Mine and the neck pickup nails the Les Paul tone.

In summary you will not be disappointed, a truly wonderful guitar, and for me a perfect fit. I'm 6 foot and it doesn't feel too small, it just feels right. I know the Luke profile isn't for everyone, but for me it's the most comfortable neck I've ever played. I'd say give yourself a few weeks to get used to it as initially it felt cramped to me, but now i can switch between guitars with no problems.

When I took it out the case at rehearsal last week the whole band were drooling over it... even the drummer!

Congratulations, I'm sure you'll love it.

Very nice post... thank you! Well, unless it gets delayed the package is due in tomorrow so... we'll see!

Davus PG

To be fair to the drummer, don't they tend to drool all hours of the day?
They're drummers

Haha, very true, although he also managed to string a few words together to say how amazing it was.

Been playing the Tumescent this morning, a few tweaks to the amp and it sounds superb.

Can't see myself not wanting to play this all the time. I have 9 other very nice guitars including Suhrs, Gibsons and Fenders, but for the first time I'm of the opinion that I could let them go after all and not miss them in the slightest. Am thinking that with a Cutlass HB and possibly a Valentine - as I'm curious about the tonal possibilities - I'd have practically every base covered.

moozak

Well, it seems the guitar won’t be delivered until the 9th... so a bit of extra waiting yet to do!

moozak

well... it was SUPPOSED to be delivered yesterday. it seems the package got stuck in UPS hell. they FINALLY located it and it looks like it's being processed for delivery now. so HOPEFULLY... I will get to see the LIII Tumescent today!

moozak

oh, forgot to report back:

got the guitar and played it a while... didn't really like the 9's so took some time and set it up with 10's. added a spring, adjusted the trem, tweaked the intonation a bit... and the guitar (for me) came to life. been playing the crap out of it ever since. i'm quite amazed at how vibrant the guitar is unplugged and sounds great plugged in as well. really been enjoying it! I've read several reviews talking about how "small" or "tiny" the neck is... that is the furthest thing from the truth! it's a VERY comfortable neck... mine measures out about .83 at the first fret to about .94 at the 12th... that's NOT a tiny neck. some may interpret the lack of shoulders (due to it being a mild V neck) as smallness but it's really not. the neck is so comfortable and fast... I love it.

here's a pic:

Cwt05KT.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom