• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

brash47

I picked up my brand new Mint Green Stingray yesterday. I had been a GC for over a year, lots of demos on it, but it's in fantastic shape.

I cleaned it up real good and put new Slinkys on.

I did my usual new bass set up check list and found a couple of problems.

I set the neck relief according to ernie ball and another site I use for bass set up. That was fine. I started to set string height...

E string: with the bridge set at its lowest, it wont go below 8/32. None of the strings will go below 7/32 at their lowest bridge setting.

There is extreme string buzz even at those heights past the 12th fret. I added more relief, the buzz is still there unless I raise strings to around 10/32.

If I flatten the neck out, I get buzz from around the 8th feet on.

This is the first bass I've ever had where I couldn't get the strings to at least 3/32 across all strings...

Any help on this is appreciated. Or...does this need to be sent to EB since it's a day old for me and should be under warranty.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

brash47

I was just doing research....after the fact. Maybe I should order a shim set from EB and start there....I forgot about that

five7

Start with the thin one of the three and see what that does. Have only used the middle size on a few necks and never had to use the thick one. Takes a few on and offs but will make a world of difference.

tbonesullivan

Definitely sounds like a neck angle issue. Also definitely check for fret wear. If it's been demo'd a bunch there's always the chance that the low frets have some divots in them.

Good luck! I would say the shims should definitely help you get a usable action at the 12th fret without having to bottom out the bridge saddles.

brash47

Definitely sounds like a neck angle issue. Also definitely check for fret wear. If it's been demo'd a bunch there's always the chance that the low frets have some divots in them.

Good luck! I would say the shims should definitely help you get a usable action at the 12th fret without having to bottom out the bridge saddles.

I checked the frets when I took the old strings off. They look in pretty good shape. No divots or flat spots I could see. I'll try the shim thing first. Worst come to worst, I just bought it so I should be able to have EB fix it.....

brash

Karl

I had the same problem with my Stingray Classic when the bridge saddles were bottomed out the distance from the top of the 17th fret and the strings was still too high as per Ernie Balls recommended settings. The only way to get it right would be to add a shim at the neck pocket so as to raise the neck. This in my view is a very poor practice by Ernie Ball as it should have been done and checked before it was sent out.

tbonesullivan

I had the same problem with my Stingray Classic when the bridge saddles were bottomed out the distance from the top of the 17th fret and the strings was still too high as per Ernie Balls recommended settings. The only way to get it right would be to add a shim at the neck pocket so as to raise the neck. This in my view is a very poor practice by Ernie Ball as it should have been done and checked before it was sent out.
It was checked before being sent out. However wood is wood, and it's impossible to tell how it will behave. As the neck/body acclimates, you get wood compression.

I have a Stingray 5 that I got, and the action was fine. 6 months later, it was not. I had to change from the .010 shim to the .015 shim. It happens as the shim can also compress the wood somewhat. This is why Fender guitars had (and still have) the "micro-tilt" adjustment, though in most cases a solid shim is preferable.

Karl

It was checked before being sent out. However wood is wood, and it's impossible to tell how it will behave. As the neck/body acclimates, you get wood compression.

I have a Stingray 5 that I got, and the action was fine. 6 months later, it was not. I had to change from the .010 shim to the .015 shim. It happens as the shim can also compress the wood somewhat. This is why Fender guitars had (and still have) the "micro-tilt" adjustment, though in most cases a solid shim is preferable.

I was aware that compression due to heat/humidity can be a factor but the excessive change in measurements made me think that was not the cause. I can cope with how it is set up now as I prefer a slightly high action, but I might invest in some shims just in case i decide to sell it on to someone who prefers a low action.
Obviously the shimms would have to be ordered through a dealer, so do you get an assortment of shimm sizes when you order?

tbonesullivan

You can get the shims from customer service. My bass was under warranty, so they sent out their set of three shims:
Brown: .010"
Pink: .015"
Yellow: .020"

brash47

I'm going to order the shims this morning. I am positive the bass was set up from the factory....its EB. But, I called in and got the birthdate of the bass, which was in 2016. So this bass has been in shop for awhile. I would assume, humidity has been all over the place, temperature, numerous people handling, maybe someone there making their own adjustments. I have faith that it will be fine after a little work is done.

This is the beauty of musical instruments. Every single one is individual with its own quirks. I love the bass. It plays great, I just want some lower action and less buzzing. Unless the neck has some twist or something silly, I'm sure it will be fine.

I'll see what happens when Big Poppa checks in here...hopeing he will...and get some sound advice from him.

Karl

I think you may find that the lower the action the more buzz you will get. I wonder what the most common size of shimm is used on a Stingray?

tbonesullivan

It really depends on the piece of wood. My other stingray 5 doesn't have any shim in he neck pocket. It's a 2007 so it has definitely have plenty of time to settle. The one that needed the new shim was a 2012.

The Luke III I have also needed a shim change. It came with a brown shim, but I had to up it to the pink. Right now I have an action I like but the saddles are pretty low, so I was considering upping it to the yellow.

Karl

It really depends on the piece of wood. My other stingray 5 doesn't have any shim in he neck pocket. It's a 2007 so it has definitely have plenty of time to settle. The one that needed the new shim was a 2012.

The Luke III I have also needed a shim change. It came with a brown shim, but I had to up it to the pink. Right now I have an action I like but the saddles are pretty low, so I was considering upping it to the yellow.

Thanks for the info!.......What was the cost to you for the shims?

brash47

I just got off the phone with CS at EB. They are having me send my bass back to them for correction. I only have to pay one way shipping and I get to use their account. $35! That is a small cost to have it gone over at the factory and set up perfect! After describing my problem, they didn't think it would be a shim issue. I'm actually excited...to give up my bass for a few weeks and have it set up...

Karl

Mmmm....I would have thought that it was defo a shim job if you cannot get the string height lower due to the bridge saddles bottoming out. It will be interesting to know what the problem is.
Don't forget to post the reason when you get it back!

brash47

I'll follow up when I get it back. I guess I'll have to just concentrate on the bongo for now.

On a side note, I had zzounds send me out 2 bass amps to try out. They are mainly for practice and recording use:

Fender Rumble 40 Studio and a Vox VX50BA. I have to return one, but I get to decide over a couple weeks.

I'll say this so far, the Vox for its size and cabinet size has HUGE sound and for a basic amplifier sounds amazing. This will be a tough decision. The a Fender has all the programming, wifi, etc. It kills the need for an effects board. This is gonna be tough.

Mu5icM@n

I have to say I'm disappointed with how my local GC handles EBMM basses. They're always on the top tier, well out of reach, and invariably set up terribly. Most of them have been there for-ev-er. If I were to buy one I would expect to have to resolve problems. This isn't an EBMM issue, it's a GC issue, but it's kind of sad that you bought a "new" bass but had to resolve major issues by sending it back to EBMM.

On the other hand, kudos to EBMM for taking care of it. Don't find too many instrument makers where you can just call them up and have a human own and resolve your problem.

Tom

tbonesullivan

GC has never been known for their setup abilities. Tons of guitars, hanging on the walls, all set up horribly. Guitars get messed up over time just hanging there, with minimal climate control, and lots of people banging on them all the time. It really is kinda sad, honestly.

Top Bottom