• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

eieiowen

Hi all. I have searched the threads for an answer to my question and didn't find what I was looking for so I thought I'd ask a quick question.

I have a SR5 and love the string spacing. What MM 4 string has a similar spacing? Does the Sterling 4 have a similar feel? I figured the Stingray 4 would have a more traditional string spacing.

I have played all these basses over the years but only have the SR5 at the moment so I can't compare.

Thanks!

bigoldnoob

AFAIK spacing on all 4 string Musicman basses is 19mm and for 5 string basses it's all 17.5mm (MM's website FAQ confirms this). BUT, if you want the closest feeling neck to your Singray5's then that'd be the Sterling. The 4 string Stingray's neck is thicker front to back.

eieiowen

AFAIK spacing on all 4 string Musicman basses is 19mm and for 5 string basses it's all 17.5mm (MM's website FAQ confirms this). BUT, if you want the closest feeling neck to your Singray5's then that'd be the Sterling. The 4 string Stingray's neck is thicker front to back.

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry I didn't check the FAQ first. Wish there was a 4 with the 17.5 mm spacing. I do remember the Sterling being quite comfortable. I'll have to give it another try.

tbonesullivan

19mm for 4 strings is pretty standard across the industry. There are even a lot of 5 strings that have that same string spacing at the bridge. There are some "narrow 4" basses out there, but they are not really common.

Quatschmacher

19mm for 4 strings is pretty standard across the industry. There are even a lot of 5 strings that have that same string spacing at the bridge. There are some "narrow 4" basses out there, but they are not really common.

The Sterling 4 has a narrower string spacing (11/16” (17.5mm)) than the ray (3/4” (19mm)).

Last edited:

tbonesullivan

Yes, I’m 100% sure. It was in the specifications on the respective pages and is borne out by having owned both a Sterling and Stingray.

Per the EBMM FAQ:

What is the string spacing on the Music Man basses?

All distances are measured from string center to the next string center.

Stingray 4, Bongo 4, Sterling 4, Big Al 4, Reflex 4, Classic Sabre - 3/4"

StingRay 5, Sterling 5, Bongo 5, Big Al 5, Reflex 5 - 11/16"

Quatschmacher

Per the EBMM FAQ:

What is the string spacing on the Music Man basses?

All distances are measured from string center to the next string center.

Stingray 4, Bongo 4, Sterling 4, Big Al 4, Reflex 4, Classic Sabre - 3/4"

StingRay 5, Sterling 5, Bongo 5, Big Al 5, Reflex 5 - 11/16"

See attached photo from an email/forum post from an EBMM employee confirming 11/16” on the Sterling. (It is entirely possible to have different spacing using the same bridge simply by having the saddle grooves cut closer together.)
54E8464E-0A84-412D-BAF9-7AE0AA5C95F5.jpg

Last edited:

Quatschmacher

How would the string spacing be different if they use the same bridge? That doesn't make any sense.

Simple: the slots on the bridge saddles are cut closer together. Same components, different cut position.

By way of comparison - have you seen the bridge saddles on the current Fender basses? They happen to have multiple slots so the same bridge can be used to achieve different string spacing.

Top Bottom