• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

chrismilne

i've posted in the past about this guitar but now its much worse. I've always struggled to get great action on this guitar it seems to rise by the 12 fret, ive changed the neck relief many times (maybe i need a slight shim adjustment, not sure). Now, I can't seem to get the tremolo in line. I used to use 9-42 and will probably go back to these at some point, however i've been working on a project thats in drop C and they were too loose. After struggling with them for a while i tried the heavy bottom strings, those didn't work out for many reasons, so i went to a hybrid set of 9-46 (same i have on my Silhouette Special since i got it). I've completely given up on using this guitar with the drop C so i'm trying to get it back to standard tuning now.

The tremolo now is really out of whack. It is not only way too far forward but it also seems higher on the low E side (angled). Any advice? Do i need to add another spring (move the spring position)? If i need another spring/screw, are they universal, or do i need to get it from Ernie Ball? Do i need to tighten the claw? Sorry for the novice trem questions, in the past i've had guitars setup elsewhere, but really trying to learn this and save some money too!

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2636.jpg
    IMG_2636.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_2637.jpg
    IMG_2637.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_2638.jpg
    IMG_2638.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 248

Tollywood

Good morning.

To get you tremolo to sit on the body you will have to back out the tremolo spring claw screws a little. Maybe it's tilting to one side because the claw is misaligned? You'd have to put on the string gauge you intend to use before making adjustments.

Good luck.

chrismilne

Good morning.

To get you tremolo to sit on the body you will have to back out the tremolo spring claw screws a little. Maybe it's tilting to one side because the claw is misaligned? You'd have to put on the string gauge you intend to use before making adjustments.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I tried backing them out but it's not making any difference, it seems counter intuitive though. It seems i need more tension on the springs. Do the springs became weaker over time, ie do you eventually need to replace them? I have older guitars (ibanez, bc rich) that have never required anything like that.

beej

Yes, you need more tension. Add another spring, or screw the claw in further, until the trem is level.

A lot of this stuff is trial and error, so you need to play with it until you're happy. Worst case, take it to someone local for a setup.

tbonesullivan

Are both of the tremolo posts screwed down as far as they will go? It looks like one is slightly higher than the other, which is why you would have it slightly higher on one side.

I would then add a third spring, and have all three straight, not at an angle. The tremolo is up like that because you don't have enough spring tension to compensate for the string pull.

If you can't get it to work, I would take it to a guitar tech and have them give it a setup. They should be able to fix this easily.

vuduhwy

Yes, you need more tension. Add another spring, or screw the claw in further, until the trem is level.

A lot of this stuff is trial and error, so you need to play with it until you're happy. Worst case, take it to someone local for a setup.

I agree with Beej on this one. Trem claw adjustment is nearly always the cause for this sort of problem. I don't know how old your guitar is , but sometimes worn out trem springs can contribute as well.

Astrofreq

Definitely add a 3rd spring and in this case, without any slanting. You might even be able to back the out some with that 3rd spring. Put on the gauge strings you want, THEN do all the surgery on the guitar.

Even the Drop C is doable, it’s just going to take some more effort to get it there. Once it is set, you won’t have to mess with it again.

chrismilne

Are both of the tremolo posts screwed down as far as they will go? It looks like one is slightly higher than the other, which is why you would have it slightly higher on one side.

I would then add a third spring, and have all three straight, not at an angle. The tremolo is up like that because you don't have enough spring tension to compensate for the string pull.

If you can't get it to work, I would take it to a guitar tech and have them give it a setup. They should be able to fix this easily.

Yeah, it felt like it was going to hurt the body if i tried to tighten it.

Anyone know the best place to get springs? I stopped at guitar center but noticed the springs don't come with the screw, and i have no screw (maybe the previous owner removed it)?

Astrofreq

I see. Will youtube it, I’ve never put in a spring and assumed the screw was holding it in place.

Do yourself a giant favor and loosen the strings and loosen the claw before adding the spring. I, and many others, have scratched the back of many a guitar trying to stretch that spring to get it on there. It’s easy once you loosen and claw a ton, add the spring, then tighten it back.

chrismilne

Thanks for the replies everyone...helped me out for sure. Going to pick up a pack of springs and give it a go.

Tollywood

Oops, you're right. I should have said in not out on the claw screws. Sorry, my head was up my ass that day.

Top Bottom