• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Dr. Doom

Hi All,

I just got a Stingray Classic. I bought it a couple of days ago and gigged on it that evening.

When I started playing with other players I quickly realized that the volume of the G string was barely detectable. I took it home, lowered the G, and raised the height of the pickup to make it closer to the G.

I don't mind "tweaking" my basses a bit but usually the factory, including the Music Man factory, are better.

This isn't a general complaint against Music Man. The Classic I just bought brings my collection of Music Man basses up to 3 and I love them all. Music Man makes REALLY NICE basses.

I've never had a problem buying a new bass and taking it right to a gig. I've done it a couple of times. Oh well.

Attachments

• y_W4VXIvO-0PDQlcJ4vlfpchoDK0m3q70GS_kreuddQpX92IB.jpg
    y_W4VXIvO-0PDQlcJ4vlfpchoDK0m3q70GS_kreuddQpX92IB.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 306

Double Agent

Congrats on the Classic. My Classic V has been my dream bass. I currently have 2 Rays, but have had another one and 2 Bongos as well without experiencing the G string issue. But I don’t think I would ever gig a bass without tweaking the setup per my preferences. Not that the factory setup is bad, but there is a reason it’s adjustable...everyone has different styles that call for adjustments to be made.

Anyhow, I hope that you enjoy the bass now that it’s had a couple adjustments. The Classics are special IMO and I’m not parting with mine for as long as I keep playing bass.

Dr. Doom

You're right of course. I now know that I should have tweaked it first. It seemed fine when I tried it in the music store. Playing with other musicians is different though.

I have, on two occasions, taken a brand new bass to a gig right after the purchase and it worked out well both times.

annvald

Welcome to the "Weak G- string" world. There is no good solution to this problem. I also raised the pickup and lowered G- string but that`s all you can do. Enjoy your Stingray and play riffs where you don`t have to use G- string ;)

Karl

Welcome to the "Weak G- string" world. There is no good solution to this problem. I also raised the pickup and lowered G- string but that`s all you can do. Enjoy your Stingray and play riffs where you don`t have to use G- string ;)

Surely that cannot be right!
You might as well go and buy a cheap Bass that lets you use the G string.

annvald

Surely that cannot be right!
You might as well go and buy a cheap Bass that lets you use the G string.

Maybe you would offer a solution to the problem. What setting do you offer to solve G-string issue? I exchanged my Stingray 4 3 EQ original pickup and installed Nordstrand MM 4.2. Very good sound, but the problem is still the same.

Karl

Maybe you would offer a solution to the problem. What setting do you offer to solve G-string issue? I exchanged my Stingray 4 3 EQ original pickup and installed Nordstrand MM 4.2. Very good sound, but the problem is still the same.

Basically there shouldn't be a weak G string problem in the first place, to say just don't play the G string is ludicrous.This is a problem for EB to sort and not me.

tbonesullivan

Having less mass and less metal, especially in the steel core, the G string will usually be lower in output than the other strings. On the other hand the E and low B (if you have a 5er) can put out huge amounts of signal. This is one reason why lots of people use compressors.

I've owned Fender, Carvin, Ibanez, and Music Man basses. All will be like this, which is why I pluck the G string a bit harder. There is also less surface area to work with, so it takes a bit more effort to get going.

five7

I must pluck it harder also because of the 30 or so I have owned none of them had a weak G string. Always felt like I was plucking the same string to string, lol.

ihixulu

Are you sure the G is weak? Get a recording of the bass in the mix and see how it sounds. There may be other issues afoot...

I thought my SR5 had a weak G string but it came out fine in recordings, studio and live, from the board and from the audience. It turned out my cab was beaming the higher frequencies enough that when I went up on the G the sound was literally shooting past my knees and not "blooming" up to my ears like the other strings.

Just a thought.

BobKos

If proper setup does not completely alleviate the problem to your satisfaction, return the bass to the retailer for a refund. I own a classic and I agree they are sweet basses. BUT - The weak G thing can be frustrating and playing with it till your return window closes will leave you stuck with an instrument you will not enjoy. My classic does not suffer weak G but I have owned other EBMM single H stingrays that did. I couldn't fix it. It wasn't my amp, strings, action, etc . I eventually gave up. Given the chance again, I would have returned those instruments and let the retailer / factory deal with them.

nurnay

:rolleyes: The weak G thing again...

I've owned numerous Rays, exactly one had a "weak G string", and it was because of the setup. Once the pickups were at factory height, new strings, etc, it sounded great. As someone else said, the G will naturally not be as loud as the E or any others. It's a thin string.

Top Bottom