• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

dreghead

hi all

i'm trying to fix-up a steve morse standard which had a missing toggle switch. the toggle switch that was missing is the 3-way 6-pin toggle near the input jack (this is the toggle that brings the slanted pickup into the mix).

i purchased a replacement from ernie ball.

the guitar tech has the the wiring schematics, and i sent him a picture of the inside of a steve morse standard, but he's confused. one of the confusing parts is the small green PCB that appears to have 9 pins and is attached to the 3-way 6-pin toggle. i'm not electrically inclined at all, so i can't really help him.

can anyone help explain what's going on in the steve morse standard with the 3-way 6-in toggle and the 9 pin PCB? if so, i'd greatly appreciate it and i'll pass it along to the tech...

beej

It's being used as a simple 3-way switch (on/on/on).

Basically, the output from the lever switch is wired to the top lug of this switch, rather than to the volume pot, as would normally be done. The neck single is wired to the bottom lug. Then, the middle lug is wired to the volume pot.

So- this switch is the 'gate keeper' of what goes to the guitar's output (volume pot). Flip the switch one way, you get the lever output. The other, you get just the bridge single. In the middle, you get *both* (lever + bridge single). It's pretty simple really.

If you look at the wiring diagram, you're only using three of the lugs from the PCB. It's overkill. Probably just b/c Steve liked that particular switch.

If you need a wiring diagram, PM me your email address and I can send you out. Good luck.

Moruan89

It's being used as a simple 3-way switch (on/on/on).

Basically, the output from the lever switch is wired to the top lug of this switch, rather than to the volume pot, as would normally be done. The neck single is wired to the bottom lug. Then, the middle lug is wired to the volume pot.

So- this switch is the 'gate keeper' of what goes to the guitar's output (volume pot). Flip the switch one way, you get the lever output. The other, you get just the bridge single. In the middle, you get *both* (lever + bridge single). It's pretty simple really.

If you look at the wiring diagram, you're only using three of the lugs from the PCB. It's overkill. Probably just b/c Steve liked that particular switch.

If you need a wiring diagram, PM me your email address and I can send you out. Good luck.
hello!
I’m Andrea from italy.
Sorry if something is not clear to me.
I’m having the same problem, my Morse previous owner customized the wiring and seems that in my guitar there’s a 6 pin three way toggle, but my tech support is having some problems restoring the original one.
Can I ask you for a diagram or some help?
Thanks in advance:)

banjoplayer

hi dreghead,
got my Morse in 2007 and at the end of the year the switch stopped working. The German distributor sent me a replacement (b/c my local dealer was not willing to do anything...)
We took the PCB, de-solered it from the broken switch and soldered it onto the new one. In my picture you can see both switches in the red circles.
It works ever since!

DSCF1132.JPG

Top Bottom