• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

jones4tone

Experience is a wonderful teacher. The first time I purchased a MusicMan new from the factory was the 2016 Starry Night PDN run. I believe the order window was June 2016, and I placed my order for an HH LIII in that run. It was delivered sometime the first half of January 2017, after I had exhibited amazing patience during the wait! (You'll testify on this, right Pete? :D)

Fast forward a week or so after that Luke arrived, and here comes BP teasing us with some pictures of unfinished guitars on a table in the factory, their necks laid pretty much where they would be after assembly. These were guitars being made for NAMM 2017, and it wasn't clear at the time what they represented. Were they one-offs, similar to what had been shown (and then sold to dealers) for Summer NAMM 2016? There was only one thing I knew for sure: I want that burst Valentine! There it was, with a bound neck, and a white pick guard. It was love at first sight.

I pretty much immediately got hold of my friend/enabler-in-chief Pete DuBaldo, who I knew was going to NAMM, and said, "Pete, whatever you have to do, I want that guitar!!"

During NAMM, we learned these were special runs, and qualified dealers could order them during NAMM only, so Pete placed an order for one on my behalf. And I had learned from the Starry Night timeline! I thought, ok, the Luke was ordered in June, delivered in January - I'm going to set my mind on this one being delivered sometime around October/November, and then there's no way I'll undershoot the date! :p

Well, as we now know, those were the BFRs that were released monthly last summer/fall through April of this year, and the burst Valentine was slotted in the. very. last. month.

I was definitely bummed when I first heard about the release schedule, but, as it turns out, it was a good thing! Upon learning it was going to be another year before it was done, I asked Pete to see if he could possibly get his hands on a regular Valentine rather soon, and as usual, he came through. The Trans Maroon Valentine which I've come to love is in my collection as a result. That one is a lifer for me.

After the very long wait (and I was WAY more patient on this one - no, truly, I was) the guitar was finished. The UPS man dropped it off this afternoon, and I have to say, it was worth EVERY DAY of the wait! This thing is just gorgeous! I'm still thinking I may put the white guard I initially saw it with on this one, but I actually don't mind the tortoise shell on this finish.

I love that it's a slab body, and the finishing job on the burst is SO well done. The transition between binding and wood on the neck is absolutely perfect, also. I think it's a satin finish on the neck, but it doesn't feel any different to me from the oil/wax finish on my others. Kudos to the entire EBMM team - truly beautiful work! And thanks as always to Pete for being such a great dealer, and all-around nice guy.

And I've learned another lesson on patience being rewarded courtesy of my friends at Music Man. :)

burst-val-3.jpg burst-val-4.jpg burst-val-2.jpg burst-val-1.jpg

Last edited:

click track

That is AMAZING !!! That neck has got to be the most visually stunning and with the binding very easy to see when playing out.

Top Bottom