• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

steevo

Ive had my Sterling 5 HH for a few years now and the 5 way switch has always been a little on the loose side, theres no click when switching between setting. Are these switches the same as the super switch that fender use or will I need to replace it with one from EBMM?
My next question is maybe one for the technically minded of you. I don't really use the 2nd and 4th positions on the switch (two outer coils, two inner coils) so I was toying with the idea of re wiring the 5 way switch so that in the 2nd position I get outer neck coil on its own and then in the 4th position I get the outer bridge coil on its own, basically adding a single coil option. I know there will be a small volume drop but it may be a sound that I like that's useable.

tbonesullivan

Best thing to do would be to contact EBMM customer service regarding this. There should be a spring that tensions the switch positions. Maybe that spring is damaged or out of place.

Regarding wiring, I'm sure it's possible. The wiring options that EBMM uses are all mean to have no hum at all, and the split humbucker will, which is one reason why it wasn't set up that way in the first place.

steevo

Struggling to get an answer on the switch replacement. I really need to get this sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeteDuBaldo

Steve, I know I responded to you on Facebook but thought I'd post it here as well, for future reference.

The Music Man part number for the switch is M05420 and it should be readily available in the UK from Strings & Things as a replacement or warranty part. It requires at least 38-40mm of cavity depth (the switch itself is approximately 35mm deep).

The Fender super switch looks to be very similar in design and size to the EBMM part, but without published dimensions I can't say for certain whether it will fit or not.

steevo

Steve, I know I responded to you on Facebook but thought I'd post it here as well, for future reference.

The Music Man part number for the switch is M05420 and it should be readily available in the UK from Strings & Things as a replacement or warranty part. It requires at least 38-40mm of cavity depth (the switch itself is approximately 35mm deep).

The Fender super switch looks to be very similar in design and size to the EBMM part, but without published dimensions I can't say for certain whether it will fit or not.

Thanks pete, you did respond after I had posted my latest post on here. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom