• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

spychocyco

I've got some on order, but delivery keeps getting pushed back. I've been experimenting with a lot of Jazz-style picks lately looking for the right ones. Just wondering how they compare if anyone's gotten hands on them yet.

spychocyco

Quick review. I got the picks on Tuesday, and first impressions weren't great. I loved the attack -- very crisp and clean, especially on the high strings. I bought the smaller version, and they are very small. I compared them against several different Jazz III type picks that I have, and they were smaller than all of them. They also feel a little slick out of the package, and the first few minutes of playing with them, I wondered if I'd be able to hang on to them. I felt like I might have wasted $10.

But I loved that attack, so I spent a few hours with one in my hand on Wednesday, and my impression changed completely. After a little playing time, the slickness goes away, and I had no trouble with slippage for most of my Wednesday playing. The real difference I noticed was when I went into speed drills and the faster parts of a few solos that I've been working on. That's where the pick really shined and actually helped my technique. I bought the 2.0mm version, which tapers down on the edges to a pretty sharp point. The design of the pick pushed me to use just the very tip -- that sharp edge -- when going for speed, and I saw some pretty good strides in stuff that I'd been struggling with because of it. I tend to have a heavy hand with the pick, and I can't really do that with this one.

Mileage may vary, and playing styles differ, but after a few sessions with the Prodigy and some time to get used to it, I really like it.

Top Bottom