• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Etudica

I noticed that when engaging or disengaging the coil tap that there is an audible click or thump depending on what is being played. If I slowly depress or release the push/push pot I can hear that somewhere in the travel the gain seems to increase briefly before returning to normal in the full in or out position. Is this normal or should it be silent like the boost? It's especially noticeable when I have delay going and it picks up that static-y click. The boost push/push does not have this behavior.

RichieZ

I’ve noticed that as well. Only if a note is ringing. Otherwise engaging/disengaging it doesn’t make any sound.

Etudica

Yeah that's what I meant - toggling while playing and sound is input. I compared to my JPs with the push/pull coil tap which both don't produce that brief spike when engaging while notes ring out. Just wanted to know if that's normal and common.

mistercharlie

I never noticed it, but I’m going to try it now. It sounds like it could be exploited to make a cool effect.

Fro

I’ve noticed that with mine as well. It seems to only do it the first few times I engage it. I’ve been meaning to turn down the boost level. I’m assuming this will eliminate the pop because my LIII doesn’t pop and itsboost is about half of my Valentine.

leond

My Valentine does this. I think it's the humbucker pickup cutting out.

If I split the pickup with only the bridge pickup on, nothing happens.

If I split the pickup with only the humbucker on, the sound cuts out.

If I split the pickup with both pickups on, the sound gets louder. I believe this is the bridge pickup solo'd while the humbucker is cutting out.

The above happens when the push - push pot is mid way thru it's travel. If I push it slowly, I can hear it and it's very audible. While playing normally, it's unnoticeable and not an issue for me.

Etudica

jlbasscatcher - not sure if you are talking about the actual boost push/push pot. I was referring to the coil split push/push only. I haven't noticed anything audible when toggling the boost function (I have mine turned down slightly from factory setting... guessing it's somewhere around around 8-9db)

leond - that's exactly what I'm seeing. I believe the coil tap has no effect at all when in the bridge position.

Was just curious since this is the first EBMM of mine with silent circuit and push/push pots. Thanks again guys.

Top Bottom